Early life and education
Minter first gained national attention in the United States in 2001 representing the lesbian partner of Diane Whipple, in a wrongful death case due to a dog mauling; which resulted in a landmark decision in California that extended tort claims to same-sex domestic partners; previously it was a right limited only to married couples. Marjorie Knoller was sentenced to serve 15 years to life for the death of Diane Whipple. Whipple's partner, Sharon Smith, succeeded in suing for $1,500,000 in civil damages, which she donated to Saint Mary's College of California to fund the women's lacrosse team.
In 2003, Minter gained national attention again when CourtTV aired the entire case of Kantaras v. Kantaras, where Minter represented Michael Kantaras, a transgender man who was trying to keep custody of his children. Though he won that case in 2002, it was reversed on appeal in 2004 by the Florida Supreme Court, upholding the claim that the marriage was null and void because her ex-husband was still a woman and same-sex marriages are illegal in Florida. The couple settled the case with joint custody in 2005.
Minter got married in 2001 and has a daughter. He said at the time that he was pained "by the injustice" that transgender people could legally marry in California while gay and lesbian couples could not.
- Mangaliman, Jessie (2005-10-06). San Jose Mercury News. Transgender Advocate Honored Retrieved on 2009-03-05.
- Rojas, Aurelio (2009-03-03). "Ken Starr vs. transsexual in Prop 8 case". Chicago Sun-Times (Sacramento Bee News Service). Archived from the original on March 6, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-05.
- Jesse McKinley and John Schwartz. McKinley, Jesse; Schwartz, John (2009-03-04). "California Court to Weigh Gay Marriage Ban". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-05.
- Lowery, George (2005-11-29). "Unfair and unequal: Attorney Minter champions rights of sexual minorities". Cornell University Chronicle). Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- Knoller Gets 15 to Life in Dog-Mauling Case- law.com
- Michael J Kantaras v Linda Kantaras  Case No. 98-5375CA. 511998DR005375xxxWS, 6th Circuit
- Emanuella Grinberg (June 16, 2005). Settlement reached in transsexual custody case. CNN