London, Ontario, Canada
|Education||Phd, McGill University; MA, Concordia University; BFA, Concordia University.|
|Occupation(s)||Film director, Associate Professor|
|Awards||Guggenheim Fellowship; Governor General's Award in Visual and Media Arts; Wall Scholar Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies|
Shannon Walsh is a Canadian filmmaker, writer and scholar. She has directed the feature documentaries The Gig Is Up, H2Oil ,À St-Henri, le 26 août, Jeppe on a Friday  and Illusions of Control. She has also directed music videos for the Montreal based artist Little Scream.
Walsh, who was born in London, Ontario, is also an academic, and teaches film production at the University of British Columbia in the Department of Theatre and Film. She is the co-editor of the books Ties that Bind: Race and the Politics of Friendship in South Africa, and In My Life: Stories from activists in South Africa 2002-2022. She was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2020  and awarded a Governor General's Award in Visual and Media Arts in 2023.
- 2009: H2Oil (feature documentary)
- 2011: A St-Henri le 26 Aout (feature documentary) 
- 2013: Jeppe on a Friday (feature documentary) made with Arya Lalloo
- 2019: Illusions of Control (feature documentary) 
- 2021: The Gig Is Up (feature documentary) 
- 2002: Revisit (experimental fiction) directed with Rawi Hage
- 2003: Sayeh (medium-length documentary) directed with Kaveh Nabatian and Nicolas Rutigliano
- 2003: Fire & Hope (documentary) 
- 2004: Close-Up (experimental)
- 2006: Inkani (documentary) with Heinrich Bohmke
- 2007: The Space In Between (short fiction) starring Rich Terfry and Elizabeth Powell
- 2012: Niger Delta Remix: Last Rights Niger Delta (video installation for the Johannesburg Workshop on Theory and Criticism)
- 2014: Under the Umbrella (documentary) 
- 2018: Disappearance: Hong Kong Stories (360 VR documentary)
- 2019: Matsutake Hunters (documentary) 
- 2022: This Phantom Pain, Letter #1 (experimental short) 
- 2022: In Relation, Letter #2 (experimental short)
- Ties That Bind: Race and the Politics of Friendship in South Africa with Jon Soske (Wits University Press/New York University Press, 2016)
- In My Life: Stories from Young Activists in South Africa 2002-2022 with Claudia Mitchell and Mandla Oliphant (Jacana Media, 2022)
|2009||Quebec/Canada Best Hope Award||Rencontres internationales du documentaire de Montréal||H2Oil||Nominated|
|2009||Eco-Camera, Honorable Mention||Rencontres internationales du documentaire de Montréal||H2Oil||Won|
|2010||Grand Prize||Festival de films pour l'environnement||H2Oil||Won|
|2011||Best Feature Documentary||CRiterio Ambiental Film Festival||H2Oil||Won|
|2014||Audience Award||Black Movie Film Festival||Jeppe on a Friday||Nominated|
|2015||Best Documentary||Indie Karoo Film Festival||Jeppe on a Friday||Won|
|2017||Best Screenplay, Quarter-Finalist||Shore Scripts Feature Film competition||Unidentified Minor||Won|
|2017||Best Low-Budget Screenplay||Toronto Female Eye Film Festival||Unidentified Minor||Won|
|2018||Top Ten Feature Film Scripts||Cinequest Film Festival||Unidentified Minor||Won|
|2018||Best Screenplay, Top 10 selection||Vancouver International Women in Film Festival||Unidentified Minor||Nominated|
|2019||Best Canadian Doc||Hot Docs||Illusions of Control||Nominated|
|2019||Best Canadian Doc, Honourable Mention||Calgary International Film Festival||Illusions of Control||Won|
|2021||Big Screen Doc Award||Millennium Docs Against Gravity||The Gig is Up||Nominated|
|2021||Best Canadian Documentary||Hot Docs||The Gig is Up||Nominated|
|2021||Truth Award Nominee||DokuFest International Film Festival||The Gig is Up||Nominated|
|2021||F:ACT Award||CPH:DOX||The Gig is Up||Nominated|
|2021||Old Oak Audience Choice Award||Forest City Film Festival||The Gig is Up||Won|
|2022||Best Editing (Sophie Farkas Bolla)||Canadian Screen Awards||The Gig is Up||Nominated|
- 2003 - Power Corp Fellowship, Concordia University
- 2003 - Fonds Québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture (FQRSC) MA fellowship
- 2003 - CIDA Awards for Canadians
- 2005 - Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Canadian Graduate Research Scholarship (PhD)
- 2007 - Young Researcher Award, SANPAD Poverty Conference, Durban, South Africa
- 2009 - Trudeau Foundation Scholarship, Finalist
- 2011 - Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- 2017 - Leading Scholar, Green College, University of British Columbia
- 2018 - Wall Scholar, Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies
- 2020 - Guggenheim Fellowship
- "WorldCat Identities". worldcat.org. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Shannon Walsh". IMDb. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- K.J. Yossman. "'The Gig Is Up' Director Shannon Walsh on How the Gig Economy Is Coming for All Our Jobs". Variety.
- Tom Grater (February 22, 2021). "Timely Gig Economy Documentary 'The Gig Is Up' Boarded By Dogwoof – EFM". deadline.com. Retrieved February 22, 2021.
- "Un documentaire activiste". radio-canada.ca/. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- "Une journée complète " À St-Henri, le 26 août "". radio-canada.ca. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- "Vingt-quatre heures dans la vie de Jeppestown". courrierinternational.com. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- "'Umbrella' filmmaker Shannon Walsh gets starring role at Venice festival". scmp.com. May 3, 2015. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Hot Docs review: Illusions Of Control". nowtoronto.com. April 28, 2019. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- "Detah woman's story of growing up next to Giant Mine featured in new film". cbc.ca. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- Holly Gordon. "Watch the video for Little Scream's politically charged new song, 'Dear Leader'". CBC Music.
- "People, People" – via www.youtube.com.
- "Shannon Walsh - Theatre and Film". theatrefilm.ubc.ca.
- "Shannon Walsh - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.ca. Retrieved August 30, 2022.
- Mantė Vertelytė and Sarita Fae Jarmack (September 25, 2017). "Book Review: Ties That Bind: Race and the Politics of Friendship in South Africa edited by Shannon Walsh and Jon Soske". lse.ac.uk. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "15 Recommended Reads on Colonial Histories, Colonial Legacies". lse.ac.uk. November 15, 2018.
- "Guggenheim Fellowship in 2020".
- "St-Henri, the 26th of August". nfb.ca. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Jeppe on a Friday". June 29, 2013. Retrieved May 14, 2018 – via www.imdb.com.
- "IMDB Illusions of Control". May 10, 2019 – via www.imdb.com.
- "Shannon Walsh's Gig Economy Doc "The Gig Is Up" Lands at Dogwoof". March 23, 2021 – via www.womenandhollywood.com.
- "Fire & Hope NY premiere".
- "Under the Umbrella of Hong Kong's Protest". August 30, 2022 – via www.youtube.com.
- "IMDB Matsutake Hunters". August 30, 2022 – via www.imdb.com.
- "Cinépistolaire series Episode 4". October 27, 2022.
- Ties That Bind: Race and the Politics of Friendship in South Africa.
- In My Life: Stories from Young Activists in South Africa 2002-2022.
- Man-bitch. 2001. OCLC 48239294.
- "IMDB Unidentified Minor". October 27, 2022 – via www.imdb.com.
- "The Canada Council for the Arts Announces the 2023 Winners of the Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts". Canada Council for the Arts. March 28, 2023. Retrieved March 28, 2023.