Shannon and the Clams
|Shannon and the Clams|
|Origin||Oakland, California, United States|
|Genres||Garage punk, Rockabilly and Doo-Wop|
|Labels||1-2-3-4 Go! Records, Hardly Art|
|Associated acts||Hunx and His Punx|
Shannon and the Clams is an American, Oakland-based, indie garage punk quartet. Known for a vintage sound that incorporates elements of doo-wop, classic R&B, garage psych, and surf, Shannon and the Clams has drawn comparisons to both Buddy Holly and 1960s girl groups. They also said to love "the music from the 50's oldies to 80's punk".
The band includes Shannon Shaw, who sings and plays bass, Cody Blanchard on guitar, Nate Mahan on drums and Will Sprott on keyboards. Shaw and Blanchard met at the California College of the Arts, where they began performing together. Shaw is also a member of queercore punk outfit Hunx and His Punx.
Shannon and the Clams debut album, I Wanna Go Home, was released in 2009. In 2011, the group followed up with their sophomore effort, Sleep Talk. Their third album, Dreams in the Rat House, was released in May 2013.
Their latest album, Gone by the Dawn, is described by Still in Rock as "the most beautiful emanation of recent years of what I would call the "culture Elvis Presley". 
A reviewer at Still in Rock stated that their "shows are among the best in the world, with a inexhaustible generosity and a musical style with no equivalent. Its influence on the independent scene is one of the most major one, together with Ty Segall and very few others."
A reviewer at punknews.org wrote that Shannon and the Clams has the "sound of a prom band in 1964 getting dosed with acid and having the sweetest lovelorn freak out. Imagine a brawling Etta James, backed up by the 13th Floor Elevators singing Shangri La's tunes." The Chicago Reader's Jessica Hopper described Shannon and the Clams as "something from a John Waters lucid dream... complete with horny teenage anthems that walk the line between greasy, frantic 50s rock 'n' roll and innocent, hip-swinging 60s pop."
- Shannon Shaw - (vocals, bass)
- Cody Blanchard - (vocals, guitar)
- Nate Mahan - (vocals, drums)
- Will Sprott - (vocals, keyboards)
- I Wanna Go Home (2009)
- Sleep Talk (2011)
- Dreams in the Rat House (2013)
- Gone By The Dawn (2015)
- Leggett, Steve. "Shannon and the Clams - Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Brooklyn based Music Blog: Interview : Shannon and the Clams". Still in Rock. 2004-02-26. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- Huston, Johnny Ray (June 23, 2010). "SCENE: Shannon and the Clams open up". San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- Douglas, Martin (April 20, 2011). "Shannon and the Clams: Sleep Talk". Pitchfork.
- Douglas, Martin (May 21, 2013). "Shannon and the Clams: Dreams in the Rat House". Pitchfork..
- "Review of Gone by the Dawn by Still in Rock"
- "Shannon and the Clams". Punknews.org. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Hunx & His Punx, Shannon & the Clams, Mickey". Chicago Reader. April 2011.