|Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh|
22 June 1977 – 14 February 1980
|Preceded by||Thakur Ram Lal|
|Succeeded by||Thakur Ram Lal|
5 March 1990 – 15 December 1992
|Preceded by||Virbhadra Singh|
|Succeeded by||Virbhadra Singh|
|Member of the Indian Parliament
1 September 2014
|Preceded by||Dr Rajan Sushant|
|Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution|
13 Oct. 1999 – 30 June 2002
|Minister of Rural Development|
1 July 2002 – 6 April 2003
12 September 1934 |
Garhjamula, Kangra, Punjab, British India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janta Party|
|Residence||Yamini Parisar, Palampur, Distt. Kangra, Himachal Pradesh|
Shanta Kumar (born 12 September 1934) is a former Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh and a former minister in Government of India. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was elected to the 9th Lok Sabha from Kangra constituency in 1989. He was re-elected to the Lok Sabha in 1998 and 1999 from the same constituency. He has written a number of books.
His political career began in 1963 when he was elected as a Panch in the Gram Panchayat for Garhjamula. He was subsequently elected as a member of the Panchayat Samiti in Bhawarna and then was president of Zilla Parishad in Kangra from 1965 to 1970.
He was elected to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1972. He remained a member till 1985. He was re-elected to the House again in 1990 and continued till 1992. He became the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh in 1977. He held the post till 1980 and came back to head the Government again in 1990 and stayed till 1992. He was the Leader of Opposition in the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly from 1980 to 1985.
He was elected to the 9th Lok Sabha in 1989 from Kangra. He was re-elected twice in 1998 and 1999. He was a senior minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government from 1999 to 2004. He was Union Minister of Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution from 1999 to 2002 and Union Minister of Rural Development from 2002 to 2004.
Kumar's books include:
- Dharti Balidan Ki, 1962
- Himalaya Par Lal Chhaya, 1964
- Vishwa Vijeta Vivekanand, 1968
- Lajo, 1976
- Man Ke Meet, 1976
- Kaidi, 1976
- Jyotirmayi, 1977
- O Pravasi Meet Mere, 1977
- Mrigtrishna, 1980
- Kranti Abhi Adhoori Hai, 1985
- Deewar Ke Us Paar, 1995
- Rajneeti Ki Shatranj, 1997
- Tumhare Pyar Ki Pati, 1999
- Vrinda, 2007
- "Biographical Sketch: Member of Parliament: 13th Lok Sabha". parliamentofindia.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "National Portal of India". india.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "Shanta Kumar : Niti Central". www.niticentral.com. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "13th Lok Sabha Member Profile". Government of India. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Members Page
- "Kangra(Himachal Pradesh) Lok Sabha Election Results 2014 with ...".
- "Kumar Shanta". Retrieved 2016-06-22.