Shantanu Gupta in 2017
|Born||7 February 1979|
Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
|Occupation||Author, Political Analyst|
|Education||XLRI - Xavier School of Management Jamshedpur, University of Sussex|
|Notable works||The Monk Who Became Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh - Vikas Ki Prateeksha Mein|
|Spouse||Swetha Rao Duggu|
Shantanu Gupta is an Indian author and political analyst. He is also the communication advisor to Baba Ramdev and alumni ambassador of the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, (United Kingdom) in India. Shantanu's recent work as an author has been about Uttar Pradesh and its government. His book Uttar Pradesh - Vikas Ki Prateeksha Mein, published by Bloomsbury Publishing strengthened the narrative against the Akhilesh Yadav-led, Samajwadi Party government. His upcoming book, The Monk Who Became Chief Minister is the biography of current Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister - Yogi Adityanath.
Early life and education
Shantanu was born 7 February 1979 in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh and raised in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, where his father worked in PSU – Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited (IDPL). He did his schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya and has an engineering degree from G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology. He did his Management education from XLRI, Jamshedpur and worked as a consultant for many years in India and abroad. To enrich his knowledge in the social & political themes, in 2008 he went to the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, United Kingdom, to do his Masters in Governance and Development. The university earlier in 2015 was ranked as number 1, for development studies by the QS World University Rankings.
Shantanu started his career with a CAD/CAM software company in Hyderabad, names Intergraph and over years worked for different organizations like Quark, Geometric Software, Mercedes Benz, Amdocs and Wipro. Later he left corporate life and started his social sector career with Naandi Foundation. Under Naandi, he led large-scale remedial education interventions in Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra & New Delhi. He worked with UNICEF too for its Integrated District Approach (IDA) project in the hinterlands of Bundelkhand, Uttar Pradesh. Consequently he became the part of Centre for Civil Society (CCS), the only think tank of India in global top 100 ranking.
Education Policy Expert
With working experience in Naandi, UNICEF and Centre for Civil Society, Shantanu has become an expert in education expert. Speaking to JESSU JOHN The Hindu Business Line, Shantanu said, “There’s already a 7–10 percent migration happening from Government to private schools even among lower income groups. State governments can make a difference here.”. Shantanu has taken many sessions of his talk - Education Policy in India – Voice Choice and Incentives. Supporting low fee private schools, Shantanu told Times of India that Sixth Central Pay Commission salary begins at Rs 24,000 and How can a school charging Rs 300–400 per month from a student pay its teachers that much.
Shantanu has authored the following books around policy and politics.
- The Monk Who Became Chief Minister
- Uttar Pradesh - Vikas Ki Prateeksha Mein
- Man Ki Baat
- Education Policy in India: Voice Choice and Incentives (2015)
- "The Monk Who Became Chief Minister The Definitive Biography Of Yogi Adityanath". bloomsbury. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Shantanu Gupta - Alumni Ambassador India". ids. Institute of Development Studies. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Report : Analysing various pretexts which led to BJP's historic win in U.P. and Uttarakhand". youtube. ZeeNews. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Presidential Elections 2017: Know how President is elected?". youtube. ZeeNews. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Bend it like Baba: Ramdev on the field to promote Modi's pet-projects". HT Media Limited. 25 July 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Uttar Pradesh Vikas Ki Prateeksha Mein". bloomsbury. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Whoever Wins On 11 March, Beware, UP Is A Big, Big Mess". Swarajya. 1 March 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "उत्तर प्रदेश : सरकार दर सरकार विकास का इंतजार". Business Standard Private Ltd. 16 Feb 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "'The Monk Who Became Chief Minister' Explores Yogi Adityanath's journey". Business Standard Private Ltd. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Shantanu GUpta". ccsindia. Centre for Civil Society. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "From corporate to making the world a better place: Interview with Shantanu". livejournal. 19 Jun 2010. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015 - Development Studies". topuniversities. QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "I have learnt that one should go into details and not do a superficial job". timesascent. Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Are affordable private schools really affordable?". teacherplus (January 2010). 26 Nov 2010. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Improving Children's Lives, Transforming the Future" (PDF). unicef. UNICEF. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Private Schools for Poor Pressured by Right to Education Act". The New York Times Company. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "CCS among top 100 think tanks". The Hindu. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Breaking the class ceiling in education". The Hindu Business Line. 25 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Speakers at the conference". enhfoundation. EandHFoundation. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Long wait for guest teachers". Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Education in India: Voice, Choice & Incentives" (PDF). ccs. CENTRE FOR CIVIL SOCIETY. Retrieved 18 August 2017.