|Birth name||Stefan Hantel|
|Born||2 March 1968|
Mannheim, West Germany
Stefan Hantel, better known by his stage name Shantel (born 2 March 1968), is a German DJ and producer based in Frankfurt. He is known for his work with Romani brass orchestras, DJing and remixing traditional Balkan music with electronic beats.
Background and early life
Shantel began his DJ career in Frankfurt, Germany, and was inspired by the audience reaction to Romani brass bands such as Fanfare Ciocărlia and trumpeter Boban Marković to infuse electronically tweaked Balkan Romani music into his DJ set. Shantel released two compilations of his popular DJ night, Bucovina Club, on his own Essay label, which won the Club Global award in the 2006 BBC Radio 3 Awards for World Music. He was one of several DJs to remix recordings of Taraf de Haïdouks and Kočani Orkestar on the Electric Gypsyland compilations from Belgium's Crammed Discs label, and released his next album on that label. He gained popularity in Turkey after recording the clip of 'Disko Partizani' in Istanbul. Shantel's 2007 album Disko Partizani departed somewhat from the techno sound of Bucovina Club, concentrating more on the music's Balkan roots. The album was awarded Platinum award in Turkey by Mü-Yap in 2008 and 2009. In 2011 he released an album with Oz Almog named Kosher Nostra Jewish Gangsters Greatest Hits. This album is a wild mix of Swing, Jazz, Twist, Charleston and Yiddish songs and Ballads.
- Super Mandarine (1994)
- Club Guerilla (1995)
- Auto Jumps & Remixes (1997)
- EP (1997)
- No. 2 (1997)
- "II" EP (1998)
- Higher than the Funk (1998)
- Oh So Lovely EP (1998)
- Oh So Lovely Remixes (1998)
- Backwood (2001)
- Great Delay (2001)
- Inside (2001)
- Bucovina (2003)
- Disko (2003)
- Bucovina Club Vol. 2 (2005)
- Gypsy Beats and Balkan Bangers (2006)
- Disko Partizani (2007)
- Disko Partizani Remixes (2008)
- Planet Paprika (2009)
- Kosher Nostra Jewish Gangsters Greatest Hits (2011)
- Anarchy + Romance (2013)
- Viva Diaspora (11th of Sept. 2015)
- Bush, John. "Shantel – Artist Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Beyer, Carsten (17 February 2015). "Ein Lied für Griechenlands verlorene Jugend". Deutschlandfunk Kultur (in German). Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Beres, Derek (2005). Global Beat Fusion: The History of the Future of Music. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-59534-899-2.
- Cartwright, Garth: Awards for World Music 2006 - DJ Shantel, BBC Radio 3.
- Jackman, Robert: Review: Disko Partizani, British Broadcasting Corporation, 24 September 2007.
- "2008 Mü-Yap Müzik Endüstrisi Ödülleri" (in Turkish). Mü-Yap. Archived from the original on 9 November 2011.
- "2009 Mü-Yap Müzik Endüstrisi Ödülleri" (in Turkish). Mü-Yap. Archived from the original on 5 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shantel.|