|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Be true，be kind，seeking perfection.|
|Location||Taiyuan, Shanxi, China|
Shanxi University (simplified Chinese: 山西大学; traditional Chinese: 山西大學; pinyin: Shānxī Dàxué,SXU) is a public university located in Taiyuan City, Shanxi province, China. Founded in 1902, SXU was one of the 3 pioneer national modern universities of China in 1910s (other two universities were the precursors of Peking University and Tianjin University). The university provides courses covering philosophy, law, education, liberal arts, history, science, engineering, medical science and management to local and international students pursuing bachelor's degrees, master's degrees or Ph.Ds. A national base of Chinese Language and Culture Education was designated by the State Council for SXU's good teaching and research quality in relevant field. At present, 10713 undergraduates and 2200 postgraduates are registered with SXU. Ranked with 85th in Chinese 1000+ universities.
SXU is founded by the British man Timothy Lee who was a governor of Shanxi and Cen Chunxuan. SXU is the predecessor of the Ming and Qing dynasties' academy schools and can be traced back to Jinyang Lingde hall college. The early Republic of China changed its name to the SXU, 1918 to determine the national Shanxi University, renamed the SXU in 1931.
SXU is one of the fourteen national key universities in China, is a comprehensive research university of Ministry of education, is a Chinese first batch of Ministry of National University. SXU be granted as "enhance the Midwest universities comprehensive strength project" (a provincial school) University, "Midwest college infrastructure engineering" University."Nine national comprehensive university collaboration members, members of the alliance in the Midwest". Sponsored by National Science Foundation for scientific research and teaching personnel training base, involved in the first batch of "national excellent legal talent training plan", "outstanding talents of Journalism and communication education program".
The school has Wu City, Dongguan, Dongshan (under construction) three campuses, covering a total area of nearly 2600 acres (excluding Dongshan District), construction area of 120 square meters. The library of SXU library is one of the largest area and the most advanced facilities in the province of North China, the library has a collection of 3 million 617 thousand volumes (pieces), 4300 electronic books (GB), teaching and research equipment worth nearly 885 million yuan.
From Wen Ying lake at the foot of Twin Towers, through 114 years of glorious history, always adhere to the integration of Chinese and Western cultures, seeking perfection, SXU rooted in the fertile soil of Chinese civilization,harmony of scientific spirit and humanistic spirit.
- 1 History
- 2 Specialties
- 3 Academic rankings
- 4 Campus
- 5 Acedamic units
- 6 Majors
- 7 Teaching construction
- 8 International exchange and Outreach
- 9 Notable faculty
- 10 Going Green
- 11 References
- 12 External links
SXU, situated in Taiyuan, capital of Shanxi province, was founded on May 8 th, 1902, as Shanxi Grand School, alongside the Metropolitan Grand School (the predecessor of Peking University) and the Northern Grand School (the Predecessor of Tianjing University), inaugurating a new era for modern Chinese higher education. In May 2005, SXU was co-established by the state Ministry of Education and the People's government of Shanxi province.
In 1912, following the Xinhai Revolution，Shanxi Grand School change named that Shanxi University.In 1918,renamed "National ShanXi University"(simplified Chinese: 国立山西大学 traditional Chinese: 國立山西大學; pinyin: GuoLi ShanXi DaXue).In 1931,named back Shanxi University.In 1937,because of Second Sino-Japanese War,SXU leave Taiyuan.School of law move to Pingyao,College of liberal arts move to Yuncheng,department of engineering and physcis and office of president move to Linfen.But with Japanese win the battle of Taiyuan,Pingyao,Yuncheng and Linfen was under the threat of war.SXU thus stop teaching until 1938 rebuilt in Shan'xi(陕西) Sanyuan and remove to Yichuan.In 1943,because typhus epidemic in Yichuan,SXU move back to Shanxi(山西） Province JiXxian NanCun,where was capital of Shanxi province during the war and named as KeNanPo mean that overcome the national suffering. When China win the war,SXU move back Taiyuan in 1946.
In 1952,with order of the Ministry of Education of the People 's Republic of China,Department of Liberal Arts and Department of Science formed Shanxi Normal colleage,School of law to be Renmin University of China School of Economic.Department of Engineering was dismantled into University Of Science & Technology Beijing、Northwestern Polytechnical University and Taiyuan University Of Technology.In 1959,ShanXi university rebuilt at Taiyuan WuCheng Street.SXU celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2002,UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan sent a congratulatory letter to the University of Shanxi for its support to the United Nations.
SXU is currently the sole comprehensive university in Shanxi Province with all academic fields covering philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, science, engineering, medicine and management. Its education programs extend to 69 specialties for undergraduates and 18 specialties for the double bachelor's degree. At present, it has 137 general Master of Arts/Master of Science (MA/MS) programs, 6 specialized MA/MS programs, 48 doctorate programs and 9 centers for post-doctoral studies. Among these many programs, philosophy of Science and Technology and Quantum Optics are designated as state key programs and 20 others are designated as provincial key-or key-constructing programs. SXU also hosts one key ministerial research center for humanities and social sciences (i.e.: Center for Philosophy of Science and Technology), three provincial research bases for humanities and social sciences, one state key laboratory of quantum optics and optical quantum devices, one key ministerial laboratory of chemical biology and molecular engineering, and one key laboratory to circulate intelligence and process Chinese information, which was co-established by the provincial and ministerial Education Department and three key provincial laboratories. Moreover, the Laboratory of Quantum Optics and Optical Quantum Devices won the title of Outstanding Research Innovation Group designated by the Ministry of Education and other two Outstanding Research Innovative Groups designated by Shanxi Province. In addition, the university sponsors a base for National Foundational Scientific Research and Teaching-oriented Talents Cultivation approved by the Ministry, a national education base of Cultural Qualities of College Students, a national educational base for Chinese Language Teaching and a national base for Teacher Training.
At present, SXU has 1945 full-time teachers, including one academic from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, three external academics from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 882 lecturers with advanced academic titles, 106 supervisors for doctoral students and 527 for master's students, four state-level middle-aged experts with the title of prominent contributions, and 69 experts with a special state-sponsored allowance.
As the largest university in Shanxi Province, SXU excels in many academic disciplines, including quantum physics, molecular chemistry, philosophy of science and technology,computer science, translation, English linguistics.
In particular, the Quanta Optics & Photons Apparatus Laboratory headed by the former President and Professor Peng Kunchi, the Biochemistry & Molecular Engineering Laboratory led by the former vice president Professor Yang Pin and the Research Center of Philosophy of Science & Technology pioneered by the current President and Professor GUO Guichun take the lead in their respective fields in China.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities
- According to Academic Ranking of Chinese Universities (2015), SXU ranks as the 85th university in Chinese universities (1200th countrywide).
- Financial Times - Executive MBA Ranking
- According to Financial Times (2015), SXU Global Executive MBA programme is ranked at #64 in China in the 2015 Financial Times EMBA rankings.
- Times Higher Education
- According to Times Higher Education (2014-2015), SXU ranks as the 6th university in North China (62nd Asia; 351st-400th worldwide).
- THE 100 Under 50 university rankings
- According to Times Higher Education ranking of the 100 best universities under the age of 50 (2014-2015), SXU ranks as the 1st university in Shanxi Province.
- THES - QS World University Rankings
- According to the THES - QS World University Rankings, SXU is within the world's 500 best universities, ranked at 460+ (2009).
|Order||Schools' name||2014 Recommendation Rate (per 1000)||Schools level|
|1||School of physics and electronic engineering||252 ‰||Excellent|
|2||School of philosophy and sociology||164 ‰||Excellent|
|3||School of economics and management||140 ‰||Excellent|
|4||School of computer and information technology||104 ‰||Excellent|
|5||School of Mathematical Sciences||60 ‰||Good|
|7||College of chemistry and chemical engineering||72 ‰||Good|
According to the school's official website information displayed in July 2016, SXU has 27 Colleges (Department), as well as 1 independent colleges, 1 School of continuing education and 1 international educational exchanges, including philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management, art all other disciplines, 91 undergraduate majors, double degree and 2 specialties and 17 undergraduate majors. Has 2 national key disciplines, 1 national key laboratories, 1 Ministry of Education Humanities and social science key research base, 14 post doctoral mobile stations, chemical, engineering, 2 disciplines into the world's top 1% ESI.
School of civil
College of liberal arts
School of history and culture
School of philosophy and sociology
School of politics and public administration
College of foreign languages
College of educational science
School of economics and management
Law School of SXU
School of Mathematical Sciences
School of computer and information technology
School of physics and electronic engineering
College of chemistry and chemical engineering
College of life science
College of environment and resources
College of physical education
School of music
Academy of Fine Arts SXU
School of continuing education
International College of SXU
Department of environmental engineering, SXU School of software
Department of electronic information engineering, SXU, Department of automation
Department of engineering management, SXU, SXU, Department of Electrical Engineering
Department of power engineering, SXU, Department of civil engineering, SXU, China
- National key subjects (2): optics, science and Technology Philosophy
- The key discipline in Shanxi province (10): inorganic chemistry, theoretical physics, environmental science, basic mathematics, computer application technology, applied chemistry, management science and engineering, China modern history, atomic and molecular physics, Animal Science
- The key subjects of Shanxi province (2): Physics and Philosophy
- Characteristics of key disciplines in Shanxi province (9): Chemistry, environmental science and engineering, computer science and technology, biology, history of science and technology, management science and engineering, Chinese language and literature, sports, history
- The key subjects of University advantage in Shanxi province (2): Philosophy and Physics
- Features of key disciplines in Colleges and universities in Shanxi province (12): China sports science, language and literature, history, chemistry, biology China, history of science and technology, computer science and technology, environmental science and engineering, management science and engineering, Marx theory, archaeology, ecology
Master doctoral degree awarded
- Postdoctoral research station (14): Physics, chemistry, philosophy, history, biology, environmental science, management science and engineering, physical science, computer science and technology, political science, Marx theory, China language and literature, archaeology, ecology
- PhD in first level discipline (15): philosophy, archaeology, Chinese history, ecology, software engineering
- Kyth theory, physical education, Chinese language and literature, physics, chemistry, biology, history of science and technology, computer science and technology, environmental science and engineering, management science and Engineering
- The first level discipline (37): philosophy, theory of economics, law, political science, sociology, Marx theory, pedagogy, psychology, sports science, Chinese language literature, foreign language and literature, journalism, history, archaeology, Chinese world history, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, the history of science and technology, ecology, statistics, optical engineering, information and communication engineering, computer science and technology, environmental science and engineering, food science and engineering, pharmacy, management science and engineering, business management, library, information and archive management, software engineering, art theory, music and dance, drama and film science, art, design
- Professional master degree (19): applied statistics, law, education, sports, Chinese international education, applied psychology, art, translation, journalism and communication, cultural relics and museums, engineering, agricultural extension, pharmacy, business administration, public management, accounting, tourism management, library and information
- According to the official website of the September 2014 school information display, the school has 4 national specialty, Shanxi province professional brand 19; 5 state-level courses, national quality video open class 2, the national planning materials 7, 21 provincial quality courses, national experimental teaching demonstration center 3, provincial experimental teaching demonstration center 5 national teaching team; 2, the provincial teaching team of 4 provincial innovative talents training mode; experimentation area 2; College of education practice base outside the country 1.
- National characteristic specialty (4): Physics, biological science, computer science and technology, history
- Shanxi province professional brand (19): Electronic Information Science and technology, applied chemistry, information management and information system, administrative management, optical information science and technology, accounting, international economy and trade, education, biological sciences, environmental science, history, philosophy, economics, law, mathematics, Chinese language and literature with the application of mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science and technology
- The first batch of "national excellent resource sharing lesson": Atomic Physics
- National Excellent Courses (5 door): "modern physics experiment", "the introduction of regional social history", "atomic physics", "circuit", "concrete structure"
- The national quality video open class (3): "Introduction", "regional social history and political history," Han Kingdoms "Five Classics and traditional values"
- National excellent resource sharing course (1 door): "atomic physics" (Li Changyong)
- National Experimental Teaching Demonstration Center (3): Physics Teaching Experiment Center, chemistry teaching experiment center, biology experimental teaching center
- The provincial experimental teaching demonstration center (7): Center for experimental physics, chemistry experimental center, the biological basis of laboratory environment and resources, experimental center, media technology experiment center, art comprehensive experimental teaching center, advanced control engineering experimental teaching center
- Provincial virtual simulation experiment teaching center (2): energy power engineering virtual simulation experiment teaching center, power system monitoring intelligent virtual simulation experiment teaching center
- National College Students' practice education base (1): history and practice education base of SXU
- Innovation of provincial personnel training mode (2): the innovation of the training mode of the professional talents training mode in the experimentation area and the local university
- National teaching team (2): light and atomic physics teaching team (Jia Suotang), the regional social history teaching team
- The provincial teaching team (4): intelligent information processing teaching team (Li Ru), biological science laboratory teaching team (Wang Lan), modern physics experiment teaching team (Jia Suotang), the teaching team of regional social history (Dragon)
- Postgraduate training base in Shanxi province (2): information security and comprehensive electromagnetic protection technology of Shanxi Province, Shanxi Province, the research and training base of biological technology
- Shanxi Graduate Education Innovation Center (6): Shanxi Province Environmental Resources graduate education innovation center, Shanxi Institute of energy economics graduate education innovation center, the research project of Shanxi province Fen graduate education innovation center, Shanxi province Zhendong pharmaceutical graduate education innovation center, study on Catalytic Technology in Shanxi province graduate education innovation center, Shanxi province power control of Graduate Education Innovation Center
International exchange and Outreach
Harvard University, Stanford University, California Institute of Technology, Arkansas State University, University of New York, University of Minnesota, Brook college, City University of New York, Nuremberg, the Atlantic, York, Cape college, New York State University, Idaho State University, San Jose State University, Suosimo college, University of Chicago, Plymouth State University, Pfeiffer University, Rice University, Cornell University, Wright State University North Carolina Sherlock
The University of Manitoba, University of Victoria, McMaster University, Simon Fraser University
University of Cambridge, Sussex University, National Examination Management Committee, Welsh Aboen Wayne University, Aston University, University of Birmingham, University of Darby, Bermingham City University, University of Aberdeen
Nalisi University, Italy chemical wave Association and Palermo University
Cash J Lawton University, Aachen University of Giessen, Justus Liebig University, Rheinisch Westfaelische Technische Hochschule Aachen University
The National Center for scientific research, University of Paris 6, the University of France reunion
The Republic of Korea
The University of Seoul, Hallym University, Lin Shanshan, Paichai University o University and south of the Five Ridges University, Sangmyung University, University Park, Kwangwoon University
University of Technology Sydney, Melbourne University
Tokyo International University, Saitama Prefecture, Japan Friendship Association, Yamagata University, Tokyo Gakugei University, Iwate University, kokushikan University, Rikkyo University, National University of Yokohama
Chinese University Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong University Science & Technology, Macao University, National Chiao Tung University, Tokai University, Taiwan World University, Soochow University
New Lu Wen Catholic University, Gent University
- Guo Guichun (Chinese: 郭贵春) (Chief Mentor in Philosophy of Sci. & Tec.)
- Peng Kunchi (Chinese: 彭堃墀) (Chief Scientist in Quantum Optics; Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences)
- Xie Changde (Chinese: 谢常德) (Quantum Optics Scientist)
- Zhou Guosheng (Chinese: 周国生) (Quantum Optics Scientist)
- Wang Hai (Chinese: 王海) (Quantum Optics Scientist)
- Zhang Tiancai (Chinese: 张天才) (Quantum Optics Scientist)
- Liang Jiuqing (Chinese: 梁九卿) (Theoretical Physics Scientist)
- Jia Suotang (Chinese: 贾锁堂) (Laser Spectrum Scientist)
- Yang Pin (Chinese: 杨频) (Chief Molecular Chemistry Scientist)
- Cheng Renqian (Chinese: 程仁乾) (Principal Historian in International Communism Movement and East Europe)
- Gao Jian (Chinese: 高健) (Senior Professor of Translation from English to Mandarin Chinese)
- Peng Fumin (Chinese: 彭阜民) (Senior Professor of Translation from Chinese to English)
- Wang Zhengren (Chinese: 王正仁) (Professor of Translation Theory & Practice)
- Liu Hailiang (Chinese: 刘海量) (Professor of Applied Linguistics)
- Li Yue'e (Chinese: 李悦娥) (Professor of Pragmatics)
- Li Hong (Chinese: 李红) (Professor of Analytical Philosophy)
- Qiao Ruijin (Professor of Management Philosophy)
- Gao Ce (Chinese: 高策) (Professor of Natural Dialetics)
- Ma Enbao (Chinese: 马恩宝) (Professor of Locust Prevention)
- Zhang Yongkui (Chinese: 张永奎) (Professor of Artificial Intelligence)
- Qiao Quansheng (Chinese: 乔全生) (Professor of Chinese Dialectology)
- Zhang Min (Chinese: 张敏) (Professor of Western Literature & Comparative Literature)
- Han Zhimo (Chinese: 韩植墨) (Professor of Oil Paint)
The campus, covering a geographic area of 2450 mu and a floor space of 1030000 square meters, is awarded the titles of "Gardenlike Unit" and "Green University" by the provincial government. With a collection of 2.95 million copies of books and 172 thousand electronic books in its libraries, SXU houses teaching and researching instruments with a total value of more than 200 million yuan RMB. The university also pioneered on campus Internet service subscription among the universities throughout the province.
- "Shanxi University". Retrieved January 7, 2010.