Mao Zedong's birthplace
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Shaoshan (Chinese: 韶山; pinyin: Sháoshān) is a county-level city in Xiangtan, Hunan Province, noted as the birthplace of Mao Zedong, founder of the People's Republic of China. Shaoshan was an important base during the Chinese Communist Revolution.
Shaoshan residents have capitalised on their most well-known resident such that the city is also the birthplace of Mao's Family Restaurant, a restaurant chain that has spread to many other cities. Red tourism to Shaoshan and other places related to China's communist background has driven the local economy, while increasing people's understanding of China's revolutionary history.
Mao remains a popular figure in the area.
|Name||Hanzi||Population (2005)||Area (Km2)||Note|
Population: the city consists of 100,000 residents, of which 16,000 are non-farmers. The total land area is 210 square kilometres (81 sq mi).
Geography: in the east-central hilly region of Hunan province, the geographical coordinates are longitude 112 ° 23'52 "-112 ° 38'13", latitude 27 ° 51'40 "-28 ° 1'53".
Shaoshan's topography is dominated by Mt. Shaofeng and the Shao and Shishi Rivers, with hills in the west giving rise to a mix of hills and plains in the east. The peak of Mount Shaofeng, 518.5 m above sea level, is the highest point whereas Liumuzhou, 48 m above sea level, is the lowest point of the whole city.
- Mao Zedong (1893-1976)
Shaoshan City administers two towns (镇; 鎮) and six rural towns (乡; 鄉) including:
- Qingxi (清溪镇; 清溪鎮)
- Yintian (银田镇; 銀田鎮)
- Ruyi (如意乡; 如意鄉)
- Shaoshan (韶山乡; 韶山鄉)
- Yanglin (杨林镇; 楊林鄉)
- Daping (大坪镇; 大坪鄉)
- Yongyi (永义乡; 永義鄉)
Names and administrative levels of Shaoshan:
- 1652 (Qing Dynasty): Qidu (七都), Xiangtan District (縣)
- 1912 (Republic of China): The Second District (第二區), Xi Township (西鄉), Xiangtan County
- December 1932: The Ninth District, Xiangtan County
- 1947: Qingtian Township, Xiangtan County
- January 1950 (China): The Third District, Xiangtan County
- 1951: The Fourth District, Xiangtan County
- August 1, 1955: Yintian District, Xiangtan County
- 1956: Yintian Town, Xiangtan County
- September 1, 1958: Shaoshan People's Commune, Xiangtan County
- May 12, 1961: Shaoshan District, Xiangtan County
- December 1968: county-controlled district status upgraded to regional district (地級區), controlled directly by the province
- December 1981: reverted to be county-controlled
- December 1984: upgraded to county-class district (縣級區), controlled by Xiangtan City
- December 26, 1990: Upgraded to county-class city, controlled by Xiangtan City on behalf of the province.