Share (2019 film)
|Directed by||Pippa Bianco|
|Written by||Pippa Bianco|
|Based on||Share |
by Pippa Bianco
|Edited by||Shelby Siegel|
|Distributed by||HBO Films|
Share is a 2019 drama film, written and directed by Pippa Bianco, based upon Bianco's short film of the same name. It stars Rhianne Barreto, Charlie Plummer, Poorna Jagannathan, J. C. Mackenzie, Nicholas Galitzine, and Lovie Simone.
Mandy, a 16-year old girl, receives text messages from her friends about a video that has gone viral. In the video, she is obviously unconscious. Her pants have been pulled down and she is surrounded by a group of chuckling boys. She remembers none of this. As she seeks to find out what happened, she is ostracized.
- Rhianne Barreto as Mandy Lundy
- Charlie Plummer as Dylan
- Poorna Jagannathan as Kerri Lundy
- J. C. Mackenzie as Mickey Lundy
- Lovie Simone as Jenna
- Nicholas Galitzine as A.J.
- Danny Mastrogiorgio as Tony
- Jhaleil Swaby as Mason
- Milcania Diaz-Rojas as Mia
- Christian Corrao as Tyler Lundy
- Emily Woloszuk as Kaylee
- Sydney Holmes as Lacey
- Emily Debowski as Pretty Girl
- Ivan Wanis Ruiz as Officer Gregg
- Darlene Cooke as Principal Marsh
- Alison Smiley as teacher
- Jai Jai Jones as Coach Chauncey
- Kimmy Choi as reporter
- Anthony Q. Farrell as psychologist
- Ayesha Mansur Gonsalves as lawyer
In May 2015, it was announced that Pippa Bianco is adapting her short Share (winner, Cinéfondation section, Cannes 2015) into a feature-length screenplay. In January 2016, the Sundance Institute picked up the film for their Screenwriters Lab. In March 2017, it was announced A24 would distribute the film, with newcomer Rhianne Barreto cast in the lead role. In October 2017, Charlie Plummer, Poorna Jagannathan, J. C. Mackenzie, Lovie Simone and Nicholas Galitzine had been cast in the film, with Carly Hugo, Tyler Byrne and Matthew Parker serving as producers.
The music score was done by electronic musician Shlohmo, his first work in film scoring.
Share received positive reviews from film critics. It holds a 83% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 24 reviews, with a weighted average of 7.15/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Grim yet compelling, Share avoids rote didacticism thanks to sensitive direction and committed central performances." On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 73 out of 100, based on 8 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". In 2018, the film was awarded The ReFrame Stamp in the category for "2017 Narrative & Animated Feature."
- "Share". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- Fagerholm, Matt (July 26, 2019). "Review of "Share"". rogerebert.com. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- July, Beandrea (January 25, 2019). "'Share': Film Review". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- Hopewell, John (May 22, 2015). "AFI's Pippa Bianco Wins Cannes Cinefondation with 'Share'". Variety. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- "Lexus and The Weinstein Company Reveal Winners of The Third Lexus Short Films Series at Napa Valley Film Festival". Reuters.com. November 16, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Sundance Institute Selects 12 Projects for 2016 January Screenwriters Lab". Sundance.org. January 11, 2016. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- "A24 Mounting Feature Adaptation of Pippa Bianco's Award-Winning Short Film "Share" (Exclusive)". The Tracking Board. March 14, 2017. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Ford, Rebecca (October 6, 2017). "Charlie Plummer Joins Adaptation of Pippa Bianco's Short 'Share' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (October 31, 2017). "Film News Roundup: Poorna Jagannathan Starring in Pippa Bianco Drama (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- "Untitled Pippa Bianco Project". Production List. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (November 28, 2018). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils 2019 Features Lineup". Variety. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Lang, Brent (January 26, 2019). "Sundance: A24 Sells 'Share' to HBO Films". Variety. Retrieved January 26, 2019.
- "HBO Films' SHARE Debuts July 27". Medium.com. June 6, 2019. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- "Share (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 23, 2020.
- "Share". Metacritic. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (2018-08-28). "ReFrame Stamps 22 More Films With Gender-Balance Seal Of Approval; 'Crazy Rich Asians', 'The Wife' On List". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-03-14.