Share the Land
|Share the Land|
|Studio album by The Guess Who|
|Released||5 October 1970|
|Recorded||1970 at RCA's Mid-America Recording Center, Chicago, Illinois|
|Label||RCA Victor 4359
|The Guess Who chronology|
|Singles from Share the Land|
First released on CD by RCA in 1994,  Share the Land was remastered and released on CD by Buddha Records in 2000, including two bonus tracks from post-American Woman sessions featuring Bachman, previously released on the 1976 collection As They Were. In 2016, the album was again remastered, this time by Vic Anesini on Iconoclassic Records, including bonus tracks from the time period of the album’s initial release.
About the album
Share The Land contains the songs "Hand Me Down World", "Bus Rider", "Share the Land", "Do You Miss Me Darlin'?", and an edited single version of "Hang Onto Your Life" (without the Psalm 22 excerpt that closes the album version), which make up an entire side of the 1971 greatest hits compilation, The Best of The Guess Who. The album's music primarily consists rock anthems, blues and hard rock.
"Hang on to Your Life" was written by Cummings supposedly after a bad case of sunburn, but many people believe it was written after a bad acid trip. It is an anti-drug song, and was used on commercials to promote stopping the usage of heavy drugs. At the end of the song, Psalm 22:14–15 is quoted which anticipates the crucifixion of Jesus. Hand Me Down World and Bus Rider were from Winter's band Brother, but The Guess Who recorded them before Brother had ever been into a studio.
When asked how the band knew the Indian on the album's cover, they replied, "central casting".
Original track listing
- "Bus Rider" (Winter) – 2:57
- "Do You Miss Me Darlin'?" – 3:55
- "Hand Me Down World" (Winter) – 3:26
- "Moan For You Joe" – 2:39
- "Share the Land" (Cummings) – 3:53
- "Hang on to Your Life" – 4:09
- "Coming Down Off the Money Bag"/"Song of the Dog" (featuring Greg Leskiw) (Leskiw, Cummings) – 3:54
- "Three More Days" – 8:55
2000 Buddha re-issue bonus tracks
- 9."Palmyra" (Bachman, Cummings) – 5:44
- 10."The Answer" (Bachman, Cummings) – 4:05
2016 Iconoclassic re-issue bonus tracks
- 9."Runnin' Down The Street" (B-side Of Hand Me Down World)– 4:20
- 10. "Hang On To Your Life" (Single Version)– 3:25
- 11. "Moan For You Joe" (Take 3)– 2:24
The Guess Who
- Burton Cummings – Lead Vocals, Piano, Keyboards
- Kurt Winter – 1st Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Greg Leskiw – 2nd Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Jim Kale – Bass Guitar
- Garry Peterson – Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals
|1970||"Hand Me Down World"||Canada||10|
|Billboard Hot 100||17|
|"Share the Land"||Canada||2|
|Billboard Hot 100||10|
|"Hang on to Your Life"||Canada||5|
|Billboard Hot 100||43|
- Penthouse. Penthouse International. 1970. p. 16.
- Share the Land at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (January 7, 1971). "Consumer Guide (15)". The Village Voice. Music section. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- The Guess Who, Shre the Land Credits Retrieved March 17, 2015
|This 1970s rock album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|