Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao
|Municipality of Shariff Aguak|
Location in Maguindanao
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|• Mayor||Marop B. Ampatuan|
|• Total||166.00 km2 (64.09 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Shariff Aguak (Maguindanaoan: Kuta Shariff Aguak), formerly Maganoy, is a 3rd income class municipality in the province of Maguindanao, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 34,376 people in 7,323 households. It also serves as the provincial capital municipality of Maguindanao.
The town's former name, Maganoy, was changed into Shariff Aguak by virtue of Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 45 in 1996.
On July 30, 2009, upon the ratification of Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Acts No. 225 (as amended by MMAA 252) and MMAA 220, the municipalities of Shariff Saydona Mustapha and Datu Hoffer Ampatuan, respectively, were created from a total of 13 barangays from Shariff Aguak, in addition to other barangays from Datu Piang, Datu Saudi-Ampatuan, Datu Unsay and Mamasapano.
Shariff Aguak is politically subdivided into 13 barangays.
- Lapok (Lepok)
- Poblacion I
- Poblacion II
|Population census of
|Source: National Statistics Office|
List of Mayors
1.) Datu Akilan Ampatuan
2.) Datu Pinagayaw Ampatuan
3.) Datu Zainudin Ampatuan
4.) Datu Rustom Upam Ampatuan
5.) Datu Andal Salibo Ampatuan Sr.(1998-2001)
6.) Datu Zaldy Uy Ampatuan (2001-2005)
7.) Datu Anwar Uy Ampatuan (2005-2009)
8.) Datu Monir Ampatuan Asim Jr. (2009-2010)
9.) Bai Zahara Upam Ampatuan (2010-2015)
10.) Datu Marop Baganian Ampatuan (2015-present)
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 45; An Act changing the Name of the Municipality of Maganoy in the Province of Maguindanao into Municipality of Shariff Aguak" (PDF). Regional Legislative Assembly, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- COMELEC Resolution No. 8169
- COMELEC Plebiscite Results for 3 new Maguindanao municipalities
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.