|Written by||Mike MacLean|
|Directed by||Declan O'Brien|
|Music by||Tom Hiel|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||89 mins.|
|Original release||September 25, 2010|
|Followed by||Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda|
|This section requires expansion. (August 2014)|
The U.S. Navy commissions a group known as "Blue Water" to genetically engineer a half-shark, half-octopus for combat. During a demonstration attacking drug traffickers off of Santa Monica, the beast called Sharktopus escapes the control of its creators and makes its way to Puerto Vallarta. Hunted by Blue Water and a television crew, Sharktopus attacks numerous beach-goers. Then Dr. Sands (Eric Roberts) is killed by the creature's sharp tentacles. Sharktopus is eventually defeated by detonating explosives embedded in its brain.
- Eric Roberts as Dr. Nathan Sands
- Sara Malakul Lane as Nicole Sands.
- Kerem Bursin as Andy Flynn
- Héctor Jiménez as Bones
- Liv Boughn as Stacy Everheart
- Shandi Finnessey as Stephie
- Peter Nelson as Commander Cox (credited as Calvin Persson)
- Elgar Horowitz as Ellie Loveshaft
|This section requires expansion. (June 2015)|
A limited edition soundtrack album containing Tom Hiel's musical score to Sharktopus was released by BSX Records in 2012, and is available on CD and digital mp3.
In an interview with Flixist.com, producer Roger Corman said that he may do a sequel to the film. A similarly themed movie, Piranhaconda, was released in 2012. Two official sequels called Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, which was released on August 2, 2014, and Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf, which premiered on July 19, 2015 during Sharknado Week on the SyFy Channel. Another sequel titled Sharktopus vs. Mermantula, was announced in the credits, and would feature a man/piranha/tarantula hybrid.
- Sharktopus overview, "The New York Times"
- Sharktopus at Rotten Tomatoes
- "Flixclusive: Roger Corman thinking about Sharktopus 2". Flixist. 2011-10-20. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "'Sharktopus' On Syfy: A Pteracuda And A Mermantula Are On Their Way". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- TV By The Numbers (2015-07-15). "Syfy Announces ‘Sharknado Week’ Schedule | TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com | Page 431493". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Sharktopus at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Tom Heil about scoring Sharktopus at Cinefantastiqueonline