|Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy
شرمین عبید چنائے
Obaid-Chinoy at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in 2013
12 November 1978 |
|Known for||Saving Face for winning an Oscar|
Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy (Urdu: شرمین عبید چنائے; born 12 November 1978) is a Pakistani journalist and documentary filmmaker. She won an Academy Award for her documentary, Saving Face in 2012 and became the first Pakistani to win an Oscar. She won an Emmy for her documentary, Pakistan: Children of the Taliban in 2010. She is also the first non-American to win the Livingston Award for Young Journalists.
The Pakistani president conferred the Hilal-e-Imtiaz on Obaid-Chinoy on 23 March 2012, for bringing honor to Pakistan as a filmmaker. Time magazine named Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy in their annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world for 2012. Sharmeen was ranked 37th on Desiclub.com’s list of the 50 Coolest Desis of 2009.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2015)|
|2002||Terror's Children||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2003||Reinventing the Taliban?||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2004||On a Razor's Edge||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2005||Women of the Holy Kingdom||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2005||Pakistan's Double Game||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2006||Highway of Tears||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2006||City of Guilt||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2006||Cold Comfort||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2006||The New Apertheid||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2006||Assimilation No, Integration Yes||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2007||Afghanistan Unveiled||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2007||Birth of a Nation||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2008||Iraq: The Lost Generation||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2009||Pakistan's Taliban Generation||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2010||Transgender: Pakistan's Open Secret||Reporter||Yes||short documentary|
|2012||Saving Face||Reporter||Yes||Yes||won Academy Award for Best Documentary|
|2013||Humaira: The Dream Catcher||Reporter||Yes||Yes||short documentary|
|2015||3 Bahadur||Yes||Yes||Pakistan's first feature-length animated|
|2015||Song of Lahore||Yes||Yes||Tribeca Film Festival - Official Entry|
Awards and nominations
|2007||One World Media||Broadcast Journalist of the Year Award||Won|
|2010||Emmy Award||Best Documentary - Pakistan: Children of the Taliban||Won|
|Livingston Award||Young Journalists - Best International Reporting||Won|
|2012||Academy Award||Academy Award for Best Documentary (Short Subject) - Saving Face (2012 film)||Won|
|New York Indian Film Festival||Best Documentary - Saving Face||Won|
|SAARC Film Awards||Best Documentary Prize - Saving Face||Won|
|Government of Pakistan||Tamgha-e-Imtiaz (Medal of Distinction)||Awarded|
|Lux Style Awards||Lux Style Achievement Award||Won|
|2013||Crystal Award||Outstanding efforts in Promoting Human Rights and Women’s Issues through Film||Won|
|Emmy Award||Best Documentary - Saving Face||Won|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form - Saving Face||Won|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Science and Technology Programming - Saving Face||Nominated|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Cinematography Documentary and Long Form - Saving Face||Nominated|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Research - Saving Face||Nominated|
- List of Pakistani journalists
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees from Commonwealth countries
- Canadian Broadcast Company's Post-Oscar interview with Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2202643558
- Oscar-winning Pakistani Filmmaker Inspired by Canada http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/02/28/oscar-saving-face-obaid-chinoy.html
- "Pakistan's Oscar triumph for acid attack film Saving Face". BBC News (Nosheen Abbas). Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy dreams of Pakistan's first Oscar". BBC News. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy wins an Emmy for Pakistan 28 September 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2010
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Wins Emmy for "Children of the Taliban" All Things Pakistan. 2 October 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2011
-  Dawn 24 January 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2011
- "Pakistan's Oscar triumph for acid attack film Saving Face". BBC News. 27 February 2012.
- Qureshi, Huma (1 March 2012). "Pakistan's first Oscar-winner should be celebrated for exposing the 'bad bits'". The Guardian (London).
- "Pakistan lauds Oscar-winning filmmaker - Yahoo! News Singapore". Sg.news.yahoo.com. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Salmaan Taseer, Meera, Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy to be decorated with civil awards, The Express Tribune, March 23, 2012
- "Leading News Resource of Pakistan". Daily Times. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Rachel Quigley (2012-03-15). "TIME magazine 100 most influential people 2012 list includes Pippa and Kate Middleton | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Correspondent, Our. "The 2012 TIME 100: Justice Chaudhry, Obaid-Chinoy among Time’s 100 influential people, The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy makes it to Time’s 100 Most Influential People list | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "CJ, Sharmeen on Time list of influential people". Dawn.Com. 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2012-04-19.