Inkelas completed her Bachelor of Arts in mathematics at Pomona College in 1984 and received her PhD in linguistics at Stanford University in 1989 with a dissertation, "Prosodic Constituency in the Lexicon," supervised by Paul Kiparsky. In 1990, she arrived at UC Berkeley as a Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science research fellow and became a faculty member at Berkeley in 1992. She was a Hellman Fellow in 1995. She was named the special faculty adviser to the chancellor on sexual violence/sexual harassment for a three-year term, beginning on July 24, 2017.
Inkelas is noted for her work on phonology interfaces and particularly the interaction between morphology and phonology. Her research interests include cophonology theory, reduplication, affix ordering, child phonology, and the analysis of Turkish.
- "Reduplication", in Keith Brown, ed., Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, Elsevier: Oxford, pp. 417–419, 2006
- "Underspecification", in Keith Brown, ed., Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, Elsevier: Oxford, pp. 224–226, 2006
- "The architecture and the implementation of a finite state pronunciation lexicon for Turkish", with Kemal Oflazer. Computer Speech and Language, pp. 80–106, 2006
- Reduplication: Doubling in Morphology, with Cheryl Zoll. Cambridge University Press. 2005. Review.
- "Velar Fronting Revisited", with Yvan Rose, in Barbara Beachley, Amanda Brown & Fran Conlin (eds.), Proceedings of the 26th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development; Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press
- "Turkish stress: a review", with C. Orhan Orgun, Phonology 20, pp. 139–161, 2003
- "J's rhymes: a longitudinal case study of language play", Journal of Child Language 30, pp. 557–581, 2003
- "Ph.D. Alumni | Department of Linguistics". linguistics.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Hellman Fellows » Sharon Inkelas". www.hellmanfellows.org. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Faculty adviser on sexual harassment/violence named". Berkeley News. 2017-06-05. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Sharon INKELAS - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "September 2017 Member Spotlight: Sharon Inkelas | Linguistic Society of America". www.linguisticsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Executive Committee (1925 - 2018) | Linguistic Society of America". www.linguisticsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Symphony Orchestra Roster - Music". Music. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
|This biography of a United States linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|