Sharon Needles in 2012
November 28, 1981
Newton, Iowa, U.S.
|Residence||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S|
|Known for||RuPaul's Drag Race (season 4) winner|
Sharon Needles (born November 28, 1981), is the stage name of Aaron Coady, an American drag performer and recording artist. A self-described "stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess," Needles rose to prominence on the fourth season of the Logo reality competition series RuPaul's Drag Race, where she quickly became a fan favorite and was subsequently crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar" in April 2012.
Aaron Coady was born on November 28, 1981, in Newton, Iowa. He has been candid in discussing his childhood years growing up in Iowa as a difficult time when he faced anti-gay and anti-"outsider" harassment, which prompted him to drop out of school before he could complete his high school education.
In 2004, Coady moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he began working as a professional drag performer with the stage name Sharon Needles (a pun on the phrase "sharin' needles") in nightclubs and various other venues with the drag troupe "the Haus of Haunt", which Needles describes as "one punk rock, messy mash up of very talented, fucked up weirdos".
In November 2011, it was announced that Needles had been selected to compete as a contestant on the fourth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The season premiered on January 30, 2012, and with Needles winning the first challenge she became an instant stand-out for her "ghoulish" fashion sense and unconventional make-up choices. On the night of the premiere episode, Entertainment Weekly columnist Tanner Stransky hailed Needles' macabre style as "drop dead genius" and rhetorically asked "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' (a drag term for 'fabulous') contestant ever?"
Throughout the fourth season of Drag Race, Needles endeared herself to audiences and became a favorite of the media, judges, and viewers alike for her quick wit, confidence, humility and uniqueness, as well as for her "transgressive" aesthetic. On March 27, 2012, Lady Gaga tweeted – "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS 2night on drag race. Very Born This Way outfit/fame monster wig. Any rentals for my tour? #needthatbodysuit." However, Needles Herself admitted that she was ambivalent in believing that she could win, stating, "(B)eing a comedic, campy, shtick queen and seeing how far those types of queens made it in past seasons, I would have been shocked if I made it past the first day."
In a departure from previous seasons of Drag Race, where rumors of previous winners had leaked before the final episodes could air, the decision was made not to pre-tape the finale episode announcing the season's winner. Instead, RuPaul decided to give fans an opportunity to voice their opinions as to who should win before taping of the final episode on April 25, 2012. For the taping, three outcomes were filmed announcing each of the "final 3" as the winner, with the true outcome only known to RuPaul and a select few involved in the editing. The finale episode aired on April 30, 2012, when it was announced that Needles had been crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar".
In June 2012, Needles won the Facebook vote to appear as a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars, but declined, as the reigning champion, to participate in the competition. She also confirmed that her replacement in the competition would be fellow RuPaul's Drag U professor and the runner-up in the Facebook voting, Pandora Boxx. Needles became a horror host in October 2012 when she began presenting horror and suspense films airing on the Logo network under the series title Fearce! Needles also became the face of an advertising campaign by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals promoting vegetarianism, appearing on billboards throughout the United States.
On January 29, 2013, Needles released her debut studio album PG-13, which debuted at number 186 on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 3,000 copies in its first week. In April 2013, Needles was featured on the single "RuPaulogize," from Willam Belli's debut album The Wreckoning.
Needles released her second studio album titled Taxidermy on October 31, 2015, with lead single Dracula and its accompanying music video. The music video for Dracula was directed by Santiago Felipe and pays homage to vampires of cinema, such as The Lost Boys and Bram Stoker's Dracula. The second single, released on August 5, 2016, was Hollywoodn't. The music video was once again directed by Santiago Felipe and explores the dark side of Hollywood. In the video, Needles portrays Elizabeth Short a.k.a. 'The Black Dahlia', Sharon Tate and Jayne Mansfield. Her third studio album, Battle Axe, debuts on October 6, 2017, along with a video for the single of the same name. The second single from the album was "Andy Warhol Is Dead", released on November 5, 2017. She contributed to the compilation album Christmas Queens 3 (2017).
Honors and awards
Needles lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Needles was in a four-year relationship with fellow RuPaul's Drag Race contestant Justin Honard, better known by his stage name Alaska Thunderfuck; they ended their relationship in 2013, but remain friends.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|2013||"This Club Is a Haunted House"||PG-13|
|"Call Me on the Ouija Board"|
|"Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?"|
|2014||"Dressed to Kill"|
|"I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore"|
|2017||"Battle Axe"||Battle Axe|
|"Andy Warhol Is Dead"|
|"RuPaulogize" Willam Belli (featuring Sharon Needles)||2013||The Wreckoning|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race||Herself||Season 4 - Winner|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked||Herself|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag U||Herself|
|2013||Watch What Happens: Live||Herself||Season 9, Episode 67: "Laura Linney & John Benjamin Hickey"|
|2013||She's Living for This||Herself||Season 2, Episode 1|||
|2016||RuPaul's Drag Race||Herself||Season 8, Episode1. Extra special guest star for the 100th episode EXTRAVAGANZA.|
|2017||Good Behavior||Drag Performer||Season 2, Episode 5, "You Could Discover Me".|
|"This Club Is a Haunted House"||2013||Michael Sharkey|||
|"Call Me on the Ouija Board"||2013||Santiago Felipe|||
|"Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?"||2013||Marina Pfenning & Tony Balko|||
|"Dressed to Kill"||2014||Ben Simkins|||
|"I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore"||2014||Ben Simkins|||
|"Battle Axe"||2017||Santiago Felipe|||
|"Andy Warhol Is Dead"||2017||Ben Simkins|||
Music video appearances
(RuPaul featuring Sharon Needles, Phi Phi O'Hara & Chad Michaels)
(Willam Belli featuring Sharon Needles)
|"5-Inch Heels and Skinny Pills"
(The Black Tubes featuring Sharon Needles and Lydia L'Scabies)
(Jiggly Caliente featuring Sharon Needles)
- Sharon Needles. "Sharon Needles – Obitchuary". SharonNeedles.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Maria Sciullo (April 30, 2012). "Sharon Needles crowned 'Drag Race' queen". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Maria Sciullo (April 21, 2012). "Reality Check: Sharon Needles makes 'Drag' Finals". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Daniel McEvily (April 26, 2012). "Hail Sharon". Baltimore Gay Life.
- Jeffrey James Keyes (December 20, 2011). "A Drag Race Christmas: Sharon Needles". Queerty.com.
- "Just who did create the Haus of Haunt?". facebook.com.
- Primera Hora (November 15, 2011). "Dos "dragas" boricuas en el reality show de RuPaul". PrimeraHora.com.
- Mark O. Estes (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Why Sharon Needles Deserves To Win". TVOvermind.com.
- Tanner Stransky (January 30, 2012). "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' contestant ever?". Entertainment Weekly.
- Joey Guerra (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Happy Halloween". The Houston Chronicle.
- Chris Spargo (April 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles Talks 'Drag Race', Beyonce & Boyfriend". NewNowNext.com.
- Lady Gaga (March 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS..." Twitter.
- Lindsay Robertson (March 27, 2012). "Lady Gaga Tweets Her Love Of Sharon Needles' Look". NewNowNext.com.
- Tanner Stransky (April 26, 2012). "On the Scene at 'RuPaul's Drag Race: Reunited'". Entertainment Weekly.
- Tanner Stransky (April 30, 2012). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' winner speaks out". Entertainment Weekly.
- Chris Spargo (June 21, 2012). "Sharon Needles Explains Why She Won't Be On 'RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race'". NewNowNext.com.
- Spargo, Chris (August 29, 2012). "'FEARce! Hosted By Sharon Needles' Coming To Logo This October". New Now Next. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (October 15, 2012). "Sharon Needles, Drag Queen, Stars In PETA Halloween 'Flesh-Eating' Ad". Retrieved October 28, 2012.
- Caulfied, Keith (8 February 2013). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' Divas Debut in Top 10 on Billboard Dance Charts". Billboard. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Jacobs, Blake (19 April 2013). "Willam's "RuPaulogize": Never Too Late". World of Wonder. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Mueller, Benjamin (June 12, 2012). "Pittsburgh City Council honors drag queen with Sharon Needles Day". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Crawley, Dave (June 12, 2012). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' Winner Sharon Needles Honored". KDKA. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Spargo, Chris (June 12, 2012). "It's Sharon Needles Day In Pittsburgh: Video". NewNowNext. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "2015 Best of People & Places". Pittsburgh City Paper. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Sharon Needles: 30 Things About My Pittsburgh". NewNowNext.
- Middleton, Josh (December 18, 2013). "Sharon Needles and Alaska Announce Breakup". Phillymag. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race Stars Sharon Needles, Alaska Break Up - Us Weekly". usmagazine.com. 19 December 2013.
- "Sharon Needles, Alaska break up". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Lorusso, Billy (February 8, 2018). "The 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 10 Cast Will Be A Doozy If These Queens Are In The Running". Bustle. BDG Media, Inc. Archived from the original on June 29, 2018. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Caulfield, Keith (6 December 2014). "Adore Delano Sets 'Drag Race' Record". Billboard. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "**She's Living For This**". here TV. Archived from the original on 23 August 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Sharon Needles (2018-07-27), Sharon Needles - 666 [Official], retrieved 2018-08-19
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Sharon Needles|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sharon Needles.|