Sharp PC-E500S in RUN mode (BASIC programming)
|Entry mode||Infix, BASIC,|
|Precision||10 (single precision)
20 (double precision; not available in CAL, MATRIX, and STAT modes)
|Display type||LCD Dot-matrix|
|Display size||4×40 characters|
|User memory||32 KB (built-in), custom-expandable to 256 KB|
|Firmware memory||256 KB|
1 vendor-specific (serial/printer/disk drive)1 TTL-level serial communications port
|Power supply||4 × R03 AAA
|Power consumption||0.09 W|
|Weight||340 g (including lid and batteries)|
|Dimensions||22×10.45×1.9 cm (lid closed)|
It was slightly wider, and the keys are slightly larger than the previous model. The display had more contrast, and the keyboard cover is a (removable) hinged lid (clamshell) instead of plastic slipcase. There were also four additional BASIC commands. Programs written on PC-E500 were executable on the PC-E500S.
It came with 32 kB of RAM which could be upgraded to 96 kB using memory expansion cards. The monochrome LCD had 240×32 pixels which could display four lines with 40 characters per line as well as graphics. The 256 kB system ROM the contained the BIOS, a diagnostic suite, and the BASIC interpreter used to program the device.
An Algebraic calculation system was included. The Algebraic Expression Reserve (AER) Memory: Frequently used formulas or constants can be stored in memory and recalled for repeated use. The PC-E500 series also performed as a scientific calculator when switched into 'CAL' mode.
It also included an X<>Y exchange key for working with complex numbers and polar to rectangular conversions.
- Mathematics (integers, equations, differential & integral calculus, formulas and graphs)
- Earth Sciences
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
In addition things like amino acids and the periodic table of elements were available. These built-in programs were accessed through a menu system and special function keys. There was also an inbuilt menu editor to add new software to the menus or indeed replace some built-in software or formulas.
- BASIC (programming and execution)
- CAL (scientific calculator)
- MATRIX (matrices calculations)
- STAT (Statistics)
- ENG (Engineering)
- 10 digits (mantissa) + 2 digits (exponent) single-precision mode.
- 20 digits (mantissa) + 2 digits (exponent) double-precision mode.
- In the CAL, MATRIX and STAT modes, only the single precision mode can be used.
The Sharp PC-E500 series could store data and programs on Memory Expansion cards as well as the main RAM. Six cards were available.
- CE-210M 2K
- CE-211M 4K
- CE-212M 8K
- CE-2H16M 16K
- CE-2H32M 32K
- CE-2H64M 64K
These card used CR-1616 Lithium battery for backup.
The memory configuration was software switchable from the command-line. The RAM card could be appended to the system memory, replace the system memory or as a separate space to be used as a RAM-Drive (F:). The main memory could also be partitioned off to a RAM drive (E:)
- CE-126P Thermal printer & cassette interface.
- CE-140F 2.5-inch pocket floppy drive
- CE-130T RS-232 adaptor level converter.
- CE-135T RS-232 adaptor level converter. (Macintosh)
- CE-515 4-color X/Y plotter printer
- PC-E500 (English): 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1988
- PC-E500 (Japanese): 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1988
- PC-E500PJ / PC-E500-BL (Japanese): 32 KB, engineer software, game "HEAVY METAL mini" (by CRISIS Software) preloaded into RAM, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, blue, 1990, limited special edition by Pokecom Journal (PJ)
- PC-E500S: 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, high contrast display, clamshell, rubber? keys, black, 1989
- PC-E550 (Japanese): 64 KB, engineer software, no double precision?, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, white, 1990
- PC-E650 (Japanese): 64 KB, engineer software, double precision?, structured BASIC, Kanji, clamshell, plastic keys, 1993
- PC-1480U (Japanese): 32 KB, no engineer software, "coop uni", Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1989
- PC-1490U (Japanese): 32 KB, no engineer software, "coop uni", Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1990
- PC-1490UII (Japanese): 64 KB, no engineer software, "UNIV. TOOL", Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys?, black, 1991
- PC-U6000 (Japanese): 64 KB, no engineer software, "UNIV. TOOL", double precision, Kanji, clamshell, plastic keys, black, 1993
- Sharp Service Manual (OOZPCE500SSME). Sharp Corp. 1993. p. 6.
- PC-E500S Bedienungsanleitung (German manual). Sharp Corporation. 1995. p. 337/338.
- SHARP Pocket Computer Model PC-E500 Operation Manual. Sharp Corporation. 1989. 9G1KS(TINSE1189ECZZ).
- SHARP Taschencomputer Modell PC-E500S Bedienungsanleitung [SHARP Pocket Computer Model PC-E500S Operation Manual] (PDF) (in German). Sharp Corporation. 1995. 6J3KS(TINSG1223ECZZ). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-02-24. Retrieved 2017-02-24.