|Education||M.B.B.S, M.S, FAIS (Hon.), FICS, (Honorary), FMAS, (Honorary) FIAGES, (Honorary) FALS , DLS (France), Diploma-Visiting Professor IRCAD France|
|Occupation||Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon|
|Employer||Laparo Obeso Centre, Pune, India|
|Known for||Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Hernia Surgeries, Laparoscopic Surgery, Thymectomy for myasthenia Gravis, Cancer Surgeries and general surgery|
Shashank Shah is an Indian laparoscopic bariatric surgeon. He is president of AIAARO (All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity), OSSI (Obesity Surgery Society Of India) and IEF (International Excellence Federation, India Chapter).
Shah was born in Solapur, and brought up in Pune.
Shah received the American Diabetes Association's Vivian Fonseca Scholar Award, in June 2016 during the Association's 76th Scientific Sessions. Shah received the Award for his research, "Gastric Bypass vs. Medical/Lifestyle Care for Type 2 Diabetes in South Asians with BMI 25-40 kg/m²—The COSMID Randomized Trial," (261-OR). The research has contributed a newer modality of treatment option for many unfortunate patients with uncontrollable diabetes.
- Shah, SS; Todkar, JS; Shah, PS. "Buttressing the staple line: a randomized comparison between staple-line reinforcement versus no reinforcement during sleeve gastrectomy". Obes Surg. 24: 2014–20. doi:10.1007/s11695-014-1374-z. PMC 4223405. PMID 25129485. More than one of
- Patil, DP; Dhotre, DP; Chavan, SG; Sultan, A; Jain, DS; Lanjekar, VB; Gangawani, J; Shah, PS; Todkar, JS; Shah, S; Ranade, DR; Patole, MS; Shouche, YS. "Molecular analysis of gut microbiota in obesity among Indian individuals". Journal of Biosciences. 37: 647–657. doi:10.1007/s12038-012-9244-0. PMID 22922190.
- Rosenthal, RJ; Diaz, AA; Arvidsson, D; Baker, RS; Basso, N; Bellanger, D; Boza, C; El Mourad, H; France, M; Gagner, M; Galvao-Neto, M; Higa, KD; Himpens, J; Hutchinson, CM; Jacobs, M; Jorgensen, JO; Jossart, G; Lakdawala, M; Nguyen, NT; Nocca, D; Prager, G; Pomp, A; Ramos, AC; Rosenthal, RJ; Shah, S; Vix, M; Wittgrove, A; Zundel, N. "International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel Consensus Statement: best practice guidelines based on experience of >12,000 cases". Surg Obes Relat Dis. 8: 8–19. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2011.10.019. PMID 22248433.
- Shah, S; Shah, P; Todkar, J; Gagner, M; Sonar, S; Solav, S. "Prospective controlled study of effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on small bowel transit time and gastric emptying half-time in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 6: 152–157. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.11.019. PMID 20189465.
- Shah, SS; Todkar, JS; Shah, PS; Cummings, DE. "Diabetes remission and reduced cardiovascular risk after gastric bypass in Asian Indians with body mass index <35 kg/m(2)". Surg Obes Relat Dis. 6: 332–8. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.08.009. PMC 2888958. PMID 19846351. More than one of
- Shah, PS; Todkar, JS; Shah, SS. "Effectiveness of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on glycemic control in obese Indians with type 2 diabetes mellitus". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 6: 138–141. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.06.007. PMID 19733515.
- Todkar, JS; Shah, SS; Shah, PS; Gangwani, J. "Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in morbidly obese subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 6: 142–145. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.06.008. PMID 19733513.
- "P-49: Cardiovascular risk reduction after GBP for type 2 DM in patients with BMI < 35 kg/m2".
- "PL-214: Behavior of type 2 diabetes mellitus in obese Indian patients submitted to sleeve gastrectomy". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 5: S13–S14. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.03.042.
- "PL-107: Should gastric bypass operation be done for type 2 diabetes in subjects with body mass index 20 - 34 kgs/m2?- an initial Indian experience". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 5: S3. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.03.013.
- "P-84: Weight loss & evolution of co-morbidities & quality of life following sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity with type 2 diabetes Mellitus: Results at more than 3 years". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 5: S52–S53. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.03.152.
- "PL-105: Decreased small bowel transit time (SBTT) after sleeve gastrectomy (SG): Possible early ileal stimiluation as an additional proposed mechanism of action for type 2 diabetes (T2DM) resolution". Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 5: S2. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2009.03.011.
- Chandra, A; Dhar, P; Dharap, S; Goel, A; Gupta, R; Hardikar, JV; Kapoor, VK; Mathur, AK; Modi, P; Narwaria, M; Ramesh, MK; Ramesh, H; Sastry, RA; Shah, S; Virk, S; Sudheer, OV; Sreevathsa, MR; Varshney, S; Kochhar, P; Somasundaram, S; Desai, C; Schou, M. "Cefoperazone-sulbactam for treatment of intra-abdominal infections: results from a randomized, parallel group study in India". Surg Infect (Larchmt). 9: 367–76. doi:10.1089/sur.2007.013. PMID 18570578.
- Chandra, P; Phalgune, D; Shah, S. "Comparison of the Clinical Outcome and Complications in Laparoscopic Hernia Repair of Inguinal Hernia With Mesh Fixation Using Fibrin Glue vs Tacker". Indian Journal of Surgery. 78: 464–470. doi:10.1007/s12262-015-1410-9. PMC 5218932. PMID 28100943.