|First appearance||Morlocks #1 (June 2002)|
|Created by||Geoff Johns and Shawn Martinbrough|
Ability to crystallize liquids into solids,|
Accelerated healing factor
Fictional character biography
Shatter, a teenager living at home with his father, attempted suicide in response to his mutation activating. He attempted to shoot himself in the head, not realizing his mutated body made him virtually invulnerable, and the bullet left a massive, cracked depression on the side of his head, without doing any mortal damage. Shatter ran away from home, and at some point joined up with the Postman's Morlocks.[volume & issue needed] Sometime later, a mutant-hunting Sentinel robot blasted Shatter, blowing off his right arm.[volume & issue needed]
In the wake of M-Day—an event in which a mentally ill Scarlet Witch depowered over 90% of the mutant population, Shatter was one of the many who lost his powers. The energies of his powers were detected in The Collective.[volume & issue needed]
Powers and abilities
Shatter's entire body is composed of a blue-black, diamond-hard, crystalline substance, which renders him invulnerable to most conventional attacks. He can regenerate lost limbs, and possesses the ability to crystallize any liquid substance he comes into contact with, such as water, oil, and presumably blood. Shatter’s main weapon is a wooden baseball bat, which he wields with great skill. He is also extremely intelligent.
In other media
- Shatter appears in the Wolverine and the X-Men episode "X-Calibre". He appears as a passenger aboard a ship under attack from Spiral and her Reavers. While he still has his crystalline form, his powers here differ where he can crystallize solids before shattering them.
- Shatter appears in the live-action TV-series The Gifted where he is played by Jermaine Rivers.
- Revealed in New Avengers #18
- Arrant, Chris (September 14, 2017). "MACGYVER Co-Star Joins Fox's X-MEN Show THE GIFTED As Geoff Johns-Created SHATTER". Newsarama. Archived from the original on September 15, 2017. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- Shatter at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe