Shaun Williams (footballer)
Williams playing for Milton Keynes Dons in 2013
|Full name||Shaun Williams|
|Date of birth||19 October 1986|
|Place of birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|2007||→ Dundalk (loan)|
|2008||→ Finn Harps (loan)||12||(2)|
|2011–2014||Milton Keynes Dons||108||(19)|
|2007||Republic of Ireland U21||1||(1)|
|2010||Republic of Ireland U23||1||(1)|
|2010||League of Ireland XI||1||(0)|
|2018–||Republic of Ireland||2||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:54, 22 September 2018 (UTC)|
Shaun Williams (born 19 October 1986) is an Irish professional footballer who play as a defensive midfielder or central defender for Championship club Millwall. He has previously played for Drogheda United, Finn Harps, Sporting Fingal and MK Dons.
Williams spent the opening half of the 2008 season on loan from Drogheda United at Finn Harps following their promotion to the League of Ireland Premier Division in 2007 via the play offs. He made 12 appearances, scoring two goals. His first goal came in the opening match of the season as Harps beat fellow Premier Division newcomers Cobh Ramblers 2–1 in Finn Park. He followed that up with his second in three games as Harps beat U.C.D. 1–0. Failing to score in the rest of his appearances for Harps, his loan ended in Summer 2008 as he returned to Drogheda United for the remainder of the season.
Williams won the 2010 Players Football Association of Ireland (PFAI) Young Player of the Year award as voted by his peers in the Airtricity League. His season for Fingal, during which he represented the Ireland Under-23s and the League of Ireland XI against Manchester United, drew acclaim for his fellow players who chose him above a competitive field of nominees.
Milton Keynes Dons
On 16 March 2011, Williams signed for MK Dons. Despite making his name as an attacking midfielder, he has played primarily as a centre half for MK Dons, due to injuries and a small squad. At the end of the 2012/13 campaign, Williams was crowned the MK Dons Player of the Year and the Players' Player of the Year.
He made his debut for the national team at the age of 31 in a 2-0 friendly loss against France in May 2018. Williams scored his first senior international goal for Ireland on 6 September 2018, after coming off the bench against Wales in the UEFA Nations League.
- PFAI Young Player of the Year: 2010
- Milton Keynes Dons Player of the Year: 2012–13
- Milton Keynes Dons Player's Player of the Year: 2012–13
- "Club list of registered players: As at 19th May 2018: Millwall" (PDF). English Football League. p. 25. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Shaun Williams". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Extratime.ie - Live Updates - 2008 League of Ireland Premier Division - Finn Harps -v- Cobh Ramblers". Extratime.ie.
- "Extratime.ie - Live Updates - 2008 League of Ireland Premier Division - Finn Harps -v- UCD". Extratime.ie.
- "Ryan wins PFAI Player of the Year". RTè.ie. Archived from the original on 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- "Williams set to sign". Millwall FC. 27 January 2014.
- Strack-Zimmermann, Benjamin. "France vs. Ireland (2:0)". www.national-football-teams.com. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Cardiff nightmare for O'Neill as clinical Wales coast to victory". www.rte.ie. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Hunt, Josh (20 May 2017). "Bradford City 0–1 Millwall". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Young Player of the Year - previous winners". PFAI. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Williams named Player of the Year". Milton Keynes Dons F.C. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shaun Williams (footballer).|
- Shaun_Williams at National-Football-Teams.com
- Shaun Williams at Soccerbase