||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
22 June 1964|
Matale Sri Lanka
|Service/branch||Sri Lanka Army|
|Years of service||1984 - Present|
|Commands held||Director of Operations, Sri Lanka Army
General Officer Commanding
|Battles/wars||Eelam War IV, Sri Lankan Civil War|
|Awards||Weera Wickrama Vibhushanaya
Rana Wickrama Padakkama
Rana Sura Padakkama
Uttama Seva Padakkama
|Other work||Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations|
Major General Shavendra Silva, WWV, RWP, RSP, USP, psc, CR is a Sri Lankan general and diplomat. The current Adjutant General (AG) of Sri Lankan Army, he was the former Director of Operations, Sri Lanka Army and the General Officer Commanding, 58 Division during the Sri Lankan civil war.
Silva was born on 22 June 1964 and had his education at St. Joseph’s College, Anuradhapura, Vijaya College, Matale and St Thomas' College, Matale. At school he was the band leader of the western band, Captain of the first XI cricket team and Sergeant of the Senior Cadet Platoon, St. Thomas’ College, Matale. Silva is married and has two daughters.
Sri Lanka Army
Silva joined Sri Lanka Army on 1984 and he was the former Director of Operations, Sri Lanka Army and the General Officer Commanding, 58 Division during the final phase of Sri Lankan civil war. He was a highly decorated Commando officer, being awarded the Weera Wickrama Vibhushanaya, Rana Wickrama Padakkama, Uttama Seva Padakkama and the Rana Sura Padakkama at once, a first in the Sri Lankan military history. He was the youngest promoted as a commanding officer. As an officer instructor at the Sri Lanka Military Academy (SLMA) in Diyatalawa, he trained the first foreign cadets to attend SLMA and went on to become its commanding officer.
During 2002–2004 peace talks he took part in negotiations to open the A-9 Main Supply Route (MSR). With the resumption of hostilities he became the Brigade Commander of the Air Mobile Brigade and later took command of the famous 58 Division and was instrumental in the military capturing several former LTTE strongholds including the Mannar rice Bowl, Vedithalathivu, Nachchikuda, Mulangavil, Devils Point, Pooneryn, Kilinochchi, Paranthan, Elephant Pass, Dharmapuram, Vishvamadu, Suvandipuram, Thevipuram Puthukudirippu, Puthumathalan, Wellamullu vaikkal and the last inch of enemy held Karayamulli vaikkal in the mangroves of Nanthikandal lagoon in the Mullaithivu district. After the end of the war he was appointed as Director of Operations of the Sri Lanka Army and promoted to the rank of Major General.
In 2010, he took up position as Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations as the only serving army officer to hold such a post at the time of appointment, he holds the rank and title of Ambassador in addition to his post at the United Nations Headquarters. Currently he is the Adjutant General (AG) of Sri Lankan Army.
- Shavendra Silva appointed to UN/
- "Maj. Gen. Shavendra Silva To The UN | The Sunday Leader". Thesundayleader.lk. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Cool Zone Cafe". Archived from the original on 2009-12-26. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "YouTube - MAJ. GEN. SHAVENDRA SILVA ANALYZING CHANNEL-4 VIDEO". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "YouTube - Confrontation of Shavendra Silva & Pro-LTTE Tamil Diaspora in Boston USA". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Speech delivered by Maj.Gen Shavendra Silva at the defence seminar_Part I - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "YouTube - Speech delivered by Maj.Gen Shavendra Silva at the defence seminar_Part II.wmv". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Maj. Gen. Shavendra Silva's Speech - 1 - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Why you should vote for MR - Brigadier Shavendra Silva - Part 3 of 4.mp4 - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.