Shawlands railway station
Looking south east towards Pollokshaws East
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Cathcart District Railway|
|2 April 1894||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Shawlands from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Shawlands railway station is a railway station serving Shawlands, a suburb of Glasgow, Scotland. The station is managed by Abellio ScotRail and is located on the Cathcart Circle Line. It opened in April 1894, when the original line to Cathcart via Queens Park was extended in a loop back towards Glasgow Central. The Cathcart Circle Line has been electrified since 1962 under British Railways.
Up to November 1979
Two trains per hour between Glasgow Central and Kirkhill and one train per hour in each direction on the Cathcart Circle (Inner and Outer).
From November 1979
Following the opening of the Argyle Line on 5 November 1979, two trains per hour between Glasgow Central and Kirkhill and two trains per hour in each direction on the Cathcart Circle (Inner and Outer).
One train per hour between Glasgow Central and Kirkhill/Newton and one train per hour in each direction on the Cathcart Circle (Inner and Outer). On Sundays the Cathcart Circle trains do not operate, so only an hourly service is provided in each direction.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Pollokshaws East||Abellio ScotRail
Line and station open
Cathcart District Railway
Line and station open
- Butt (1995), page 209
- Table 223 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Kernahan, Jack (1980). The Cathcart Circle. Falkirk, Stirlingshire: Scottish Railway Preservation Society. ISBN 0-9043-9601-0. OCLC 85045869.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.