This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Achor in 2017
March 9, 1978 |
Waco, Texas, U.S.
|Education||BA, Harvard University
MA, Harvard Divinity School
|Occupation||happiness researcher, bestselling author, corporate speaker|
|Organization||GoodThink, Institute of Applied Positive Research|
|Known for||Positive Psychology, finding success through happiness "happiness is a choice, happiness is an advantage, happiness spreads"|
|Notable work||The Happiness Advantage, The Orange Frog, Before Happiness|
Shawn Achor (born March 9, 1978) is an American happiness researcher, author, and speaker known for his advocacy of positive psychology. He authored The Happiness Advantage and founded GoodThink,Inc.
After college and divinity school, Achor worked as a Freshman Proctor and teaching assistant at Harvard University. He was one of the teaching assistants for Tal Ben-Shahar's popular "Happiness" course.
In 2007, Achor founded GoodThinkInc.(GoodThink), and then later co-founded The Institute for Applied Positive Research with his wife Michelle Gielan. The company offers consultancy services, seminars, and presentations on positive psychology intended to improve work performance. The team consists of researchers, speakers, and trainers, who deliver information to organizations.
His most recent book is Before Happiness, published by Crown in September 2013. This book features research that Achor conducted with Ali Crum and Prof. Peter Salovey at Yale University at the large Swiss bank UBS, which was published in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology  providing evidence that changing one's mindset about stress changes the physical effects of stress.
Achor launched a two-part online learning class with the Oprah Winfrey network in 2015 after being interviewed for two sessions of Oprah Winfrey's Super Soul Sunday television series in 2014.
A children's book Ripple's Effect was authored with Amy Blankson to bring positive psychology concepts to children (specifically mirror neurons and the ripple effect).
- Frauenheim, Ed (September 12, 2013). "The Power of Positive Tinkering". Workforce.com.
- Kaminer, Ariel (April 20, 2012). "Returning to College, Without the Beer". The New York Times.
- Achor, Shawn (2010). The Happiness Advantage. Random House. ISBN 9780307591562.
- "About Us". Good Think, Inc. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Shawn Achor. "Shawn Achor: The happy secret to better work - Talk Video - TED.com". ted.com.
- Schawbel, Dan (October 9, 2013). "Shawn Achor: What You Need To Do Before Experiencing Happiness - Forbes". Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret to Better Work". TED. May 2011. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "The Happiness Advantage". KBTC-TV. Archived from the original on November 28, 2011.
- Achor, Shawn. Before Happiness. Crown Publishing Group. New York, NY. 2013
- Crum, Alia, Peter Salovey, and Shawn Achor. "Rethinking Stress: The Role of Mindsets in Determining the Stress Response." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 104, no. 4 (2013): 716-733.