|Born||June 1, 1963|
Kansas City, Missouri, US
Shawn Pelton is an American drummer and percussionist. He has recorded with a wide range of artists and has been a first call[a] player since moving to New York in the late 1980s.
Pelton has recorded with artists such as Sheryl Crow, Shawn Colvin, Natalie Merchant, Ingrid Michaelson, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Pink, Shakira, Kelly Clarkson, Five For Fighting, Michelle Branch, Regina Spektor, Tears for Fears, Gianluca Grignani, Citizen Cope, Matisyahu, Jonatha Brooke, David Byrne, Edie Brickell, Marc Cohn, Richie Havens, Joan Osborne, Hall and Oates, Odetta, Pavarotti, Phillip Phillips, George Michael, Carly Simon, Dixie Chicks, Chris Botti and Buddy Guy, and has played on several Grammy winning albums for artists including Ray Charles, The Brecker Brothers, Shawn Colvin, Les Paul and the Hank Williams tribute album with Bob Dylan.
Pelton is also the longtime drummer in the house band for the NBC TV network's sketch comedy and music program Saturday Night Live.
Shawn was the touring drummer on Jon Bon Jovi's Destination Anywhere tour in 1997-1998.
Pelton was born in Kansas City, Missouri.
"I grew up always banging on things," Pelton said describing his childhood. His first real musical instrument was a cello in 5th grade. But he "bailed as soon as possible to the drums," Pelton said. "I was running around doing gigs at 14, which was a great situation, to actually be in a band that young. The sooner you start making music with other people the better."
Pelton studied at Indiana University's Jacobs School of Music in Bloomington, Indiana, earning a bachelor's degree and a Performer's Certificate in 1985. While there, Pelton studied with Kenny Aronoff, who at the time was the drummer for John Mellencamp. During his summer breaks, Pelton sought out experts elsewhere, including Alan Dawson, who is best known as an early teacher of jazz drummer Tony Williams.
During his time as a student, Pelton taught for a brief period, and also conducted private drum lessons. One of his students was Pete Wilhoit, who would later become a member of Fiction Plane, the opening act for The Police on their 2007 reunion global tour.
He joined the Saturday Night Live band in 1992, saying "It’s a pretty mellow gig...It’s really only 20 days out of the year."
Since 2007, Pelton has been regularly appearing as the drummer on Daryl Hall's internet concert series Live from Daryl's House.
Nicknamed "Cat Daddy" by drum tech, Tim Soya.
Pelton also served periodically as the substitute drummer in the CBS Orchestra on Late Show with David Letterman during regular drummer Anton Fig's absences.
Pelton is also a founding member of the NYC-based band The Cringe.
|Album Title||Artist||Year Released|
|Out Of The Loop||Brecker Brothers||1994|
|Picture Perfect Morning||Edie Brickell||1994|
|A Few Small Repairs||Shawn Colvin||1996|
|Live! The Real Deal||Buddy Guy||1996|
|Midnight Without You||Chris Botti||1997|
|Little Ship||Loudon Wainwright III||1997|
|Marigold Sky||Hall & Oates||1997|
|Fool's Parade||Peter Wolf||1998|
|Burning The Daze||Marc Cohn||1998|
|Blues Everywhere I Go||Odetta||1999|
|Timeless: Hank Williams Tribute||with Bob Dylan||2001|
|Look into the Eyeball||David Byrne||2001|
|Whole New You||Shawn Colvin||2001|
|How Sweet It Is||Joan Osborne||2002|
|What If It All Means Something||Chantal Kreviazuk||2002|
|C'mon, C'mon||Sheryl Crow||2002|
|How Sweet It Is||Joan Osborne||2002|
|Hotel Paper||Michelle Branch||2003|
|C'mon America (Live DVD)||Sheryl Crow||2003|
|Genius Loves Company||Ray Charles||2004|
|Just Like There's Nothin' to It||Steve Forbert||2004|
|The Battle for Everything||Five for Fighting||2004|
|The Clarence Greenwood Recordings||Citizen Cope||2004|
|Earth Tones||Charlie Hunter||2005|
|The Legend (Columbia)||Johnny Cash||2005|
|All I Really Want For Christmas||Steven Curtis Chapman||2005|
|These Four Walls||Shawn Colvin||2006|
|Black Cadillac||Rosanne Cash||2006|
|Begin to Hope||Regina Spektor||2006|
|Can't Quit the Blues||Buddy Guy||2006|
|I'm Not Dead||P!nk||2006|
|Oral Fixation, Vols. 1-2||Shakira||2006|
|Secret World||Tears for Fears||2006|
|Separate Ways||Teddy Thompson||2006|
|Stand Still, Look Pretty||The Wreckers||2006|
|Home For Christmas||Hall & Oates||2006|
|Sleepless (Peter Wolf album)||Peter Wolf||2007|
|My December||Kelly Clarkson||2007|
|Abbey Sings Abbey||Abbey Lincoln||2007|
|Forever Ray Charles||Ray Charles||2007|
|Hits and Rarities||Sheryl Crow||2007|
|The Best of Van Morrison, Vol. 3||Van Morrison||2007|
|Les Paul and Friends: Tribute to a Legend||Les Paul||2008|
|Bleu Pétrole||Alain Bashung||2008|
|Nobody Left to Crown||Richie Havens||2008|
|The List||Rosanne Cash||2009|
|Greatest Hits... So Far!!!||P!nk||2010|
|The Essential Rosanne Cash||Rosanne Cash||2011|
|The Complete EP Collection||James McCartney||2011|
|Human Again||Ingrid Michaelson||2012|
|The World from the Side of the Moon||Phillip Phillips||2012|
|Living in Color||Alexz Johnson||2013|
|A cure for loneliness||Peter Wolf||2016|
- Picture Perfect Morning - Edie Brickell (1994)
- A Few Small Repairs - Shawn Colvin (1996)
- Let's Talk About Love - Céline Dion (1997)
- Credo - Jennifer Rush (1997)
- Campi di Popcorn - Gianluca Grignani (1998)
- Burning The Daze - Marc Cohn (1998)
- Holiday Songs and Lullabies - Shawn Colvin (1998)
- Barefoot on the Beach - Michael Franks (1999)
- Joy: A Holiday Collection - Jewel (1999)
- Timeless: The Classics Vol. 2 - Michael Bolton (1999)
- Songs from the Last Century - George Michael (1999)
- The Bedroom Tapes - Carly Simon (2000)
- Whole New You - Shawn Colvin (2001)
- Look Into the Eyeball - David Byrne (2001)
- M.Y.O.B. - Debbie Gibson (2001)
- It Had to Be You: The Great American Songbook - Rod Stewart (2002)
- C'mon, C'mon - Sheryl Crow (2002)
- As Time Goes By: The Great American Songbook, Volume II - Rod Stewart (2003)
- Rules of Travel - Rosanne Cash (2003)
- Hotel Paper - Michelle Branch (2003)
- Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson (2004)
- Indigo: Women of Song - Olivia Newton-John (2004)
- Fijación Oral, Vol. 1 - Shakira (2005)
- Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 - Shakira (2005)
- Black Cadillac - Rosanne Cash (2006)
- These Four Walls - Shawn Colvin (2006)
- Romancing the '60s - Frankie Valli (2007)
- My December - Kelly Clarkson (2007)
- Nobody Left to Crown - Richie Havens (2008)
- The List - Rosanne Cash (2009)
- Everything Comes and Goes - Michelle Branch (2010)
- Time Together - Michael Franks (2011)
- Laughing Down Crying - Daryl Hall (2011)
- The Origin of Love - Mika (2012)
- The River & the Thread - Rosanne Cash (2014)
- This Is Where I Live - William Bell (2016)
- ^ Owsinski, Bobby; Ill, Paul (November 21, 2011). "Who Hires Session Musicians?".
- ^ Earthworks Audio Artist's page, Retrieved on 2012-09-18.
- ^ Sheryl Crow official website Archived 2009-08-14 at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved on 2009-04-23.
- ^ a b c d "Shawn Pelton Artist Page". Zildjian. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- ^ Mackey, Dave. SNL band fansite, Retrieved on 2009-04-23
- ^ Jon Bon Jovi - It's Just Me (London 1997), archived from the original on 2021-12-15, retrieved 2019-10-03
- ^ a b "New York State of Mind: Shawn Pelton", DW Edge Magazine. Archived 2009-02-08 at the Wayback Machine 2004. Retrieved on 2009-04-23.
- ^ Graham, Andy (15 July 2007). "Stranger than Fiction". Herald Times. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- ^ Hichak, Paul G. of rhythmtech.com, "Live from New York, It's Shawn Pelton", Drummerworld, Retrieved on 2009-04-23.
- ^ Vater. "Tech Talk". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-02-25., Retrieved on 2010-02-25