Williams with the Knicks in 2010
|Position||Small forward / Power forward|
February 16, 1986 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school||Laurinburg Institute
(Laurinburg, North Carolina)
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17th overall|
|Selected by the Indiana Pacers|
|2010–2011||New York Knicks|
|2011–2012||New Jersey Nets|
|2013||Guangzhou Liu Sui (China)|
|2013–2014||Los Angeles Lakers|
|2014||Los Angeles D-Fenders (D-League)|
|2014||Los Angeles Lakers|
Shawne Brian Williams (born February 16, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently is a free agent in the National Basketball Assosiation(NBA). He was selected 17th overall in the 2006 NBA draft out of the University of Memphis by the Indiana Pacers.
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 3.1 Indiana Pacers (2006–2008)
- 3.2 Dallas Mavericks (2008–2010)
- 3.3 New Jersey Nets (2010)
- 3.4 New York Knicks (2010–2011)
- 3.5 New Jersey Nets (2011–2012)
- 3.6 Portland Trail Blazers (2012)
- 3.7 Guangzhou Liu Sui (2013)
- 3.8 Los Angeles Lakers (2013–2014)
- 3.9 Miami Heat (2014–2015)
- 3.10 Detroit Pistons (2015)
- 4 Personal life
- 5 NBA career statistics
- 6 References
- 7 External links
High school career
In his freshman year of 2005–06 at Memphis, Williams averaged 13.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game while also averaging 1.4 steals and blocks, playing in 36 games while starting 34. He led all Conference USA freshmen in scoring and rebounding. Williams averaged 18.0 points and 6.7 rebounds in three games in the Conference USA tournament, being named the tournament MVP. He can also play at the guard position.
Indiana Pacers (2006–2008)
Williams signed with the Indiana Pacers July 6, 2006. Williams scored 13 points in his NBA debut against the Chicago Bulls on December 11, 2006. He ranks second among Pacers rookies of all time with points scored in a rookie debut.
Dallas Mavericks (2008–2010)
New Jersey Nets (2010)
New York Knicks (2010–2011)
On September 23, 2010, the New York Knicks signed Williams to a one-year contract. Williams had his best season with New York, playing a key role off the bench for the team as the Knicks reached the 2011 NBA playoffs.
New Jersey Nets (2011–2012)
Portland Trail Blazers (2012)
On March 15, 2012, the Nets traded Williams, Mehmet Okur, and a 2012 first-round draft pick to the Portland Trail Blazers for veteran small forward Gerald Wallace. Williams never appeared in a game for Portland.
Guangzhou Liu Sui (2013)
In early 2013, he joined Guangzhou Liu Sui for the 2013 NBL season.
Los Angeles Lakers (2013–2014)
On September 3, 2013, Williams signed with the Los Angeles Lakers. He was waived on January 7, 2014, the deadline before his contract would become guaranteed. The Lakers had injuries to guards Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, and Xavier Henry, and wanted to free up Williams' roster spot and salary in the event they later need another replacement at guard.
On January 27, 2014, he was acquired by the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA D-League. On February 6, 2014, he re-signed with the Lakers to a 10-day contract. He did not sign a second 10-day contract with the Lakers after his first 10-day contract expired. On February 19, 2014, he was re-acquired by the D-Fenders.
Miami Heat (2014–2015)
Detroit Pistons (2015)
On September 11, 2007, Williams was arrested in Indianapolis, Indiana on a charge of possession of marijuana. Two passengers in Williams' car were also arrested. One was charged with possession of marijuana, the other was charged with possession of a stolen handgun.
In January 2010, Williams was arrested in Memphis on felony drug charges for selling a codeine substance. Williams later pleaded guilty in April to misdemeanor drug possession. He was placed on six months' probation, ordered to undergo mandatory drug testing, attend a drug offender school and make a $10,000 contribution to the Shelby County Drug Treatment Court. His legal situation cleared up quickly.
During the summer of 2010, Williams received training camp invitations from two teams: the New York Knicks and Charlotte Bobcats. Williams' older brother, who was murdered, last saw him play at the Madison Square Garden. As a result of this sentimental connection, Williams chose to attend the Knicks' training camp.
On December 13, 2012, Williams was arrested again in Memphis on drug charges after a police officer smelled marijuana coming from a Porsche in a parking lot near a mall. In the car, officers found a partially smoked joint of marijuana, as well as another joint and a bottle of codeine cough syrup that was not prescribed to Williams.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Shawne Williams Recruiting Profile
- "Mavericks Acquire Forward Shawne Williams". NBA.com. 2008-10-10. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Nets Acquire Kris Humphries and Shawne Williams from Dallas". NBA.com. 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- "Nets Waive Shawne Williams". NBA.com. 2010-01-15. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Knicks Sign Shawne Williams". NBA.com. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Shawne Williams passes on re-signing with Knicks, will join Nets". nydailynews.com. 2011-12-17. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Lakers Sign Shawne Williams
- Los Angeles Lakers waive Shawne Williams
- McMenamin, Dave (January 8, 2014). "GM: Players have too much at stake". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014.
- D-Fenders Acquire Shawne Williams
- Lakers Sign Shawne Williams
- "HEAT Signs Shawne Williams". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. August 1, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Pelicans Complete Three-Team Trade with Miami, Phoenix". NBA.com. February 19, 2015.
- Pelicans Waive Shawne Williams
- Pistons add depth, shooting by claiming veteran Shawne Williams off waivers
- "BUCKS ACQUIRE FORWARDS CARON BUTLER AND SHAWNE WILLIAMS FROM PISTONS". NBA.com. June 11, 2015. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Bucks waive Caron Butler and Shawne Williams
- Pacers' Williams faces 4 charges
- Former Memphis Tiger Shawne Williams indicted, arrested on drug charges
- Dime Q&A: Shawne Williams is the Knicks’ comeback kid
- Former NBA journeyman Shawne Williams facing drug charges