Shawnee Mission East High School
|Shawnee Mission East High School|
|7500 Mission Road 
Prairie Village, Kansas 66208
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Shawnee Mission School District (USD 512)|
|Superintendent||Dr. Kenny Southwick (interim)|
|CEEB code||172473 |
|Principal||Dr. John McKinney |
|Athletic Director||Debbie Katzfey|
|Athletics||Class 6A 
District 2 
|Athletics conference||Sunflower League|
|Rival||Shawnee Mission South
Shawnee Mission West
Shawnee Mission East High School is a public secondary school in Prairie Village, Kansas, US, for grades 9 through 12. It is one of five high schools operated by the Shawnee Mission School District (Unified School District 512).
Shawnee Mission East High School was established in 1958 in order to serve the growing population of northeast Johnson County, in suburban Kansas City. In January 1994, Shawnee Mission East, along with Shawnee Mission Northwest began offering the International Baccalaureate program.
Shawnee Mission East is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 6A division and are known as the Lancers. Extracurricular activities are also offered in the form of performing arts, school publications, and clubs.
Shawnee Mission East High School was established in 1958 to serve the growing population of northeast Johnson County. In January 1994 Shawnee Mission East began offering the International Baccalaureate program.
School newspaper and yearbook
The Shawnee Mission East school newspaper, the Harbinger', has won numerous citywide, statewide and national awards. The school's news website, which began in January 2006, is called the Harbinger Online and is at www.smeharbinger.net.
The Shawnee Mission East school yearbook, the Hauberk, has also received many awards on the state and national level.
The Eastonian is an underground newspaper known for its longevity and long lists of editors who use the pseudonym John Galt, the character in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, and contributing writers with pseudonyms such as Reverend Dimmesdale, from "The Scarlett Letter" or more simply - the Gimp. The editors are selected in successive manner each year for being known prolific writers in the senior class with a pulse for the school's inner workings and well-established relationships among all grades and faculty. Their identity is often suspected but never confirmed. The paper traditionally features political and social commentary and also includes a page of quotations that are taken out of context from the conversations of unsuspecting students and teachers. The Eastonian is often confiscated by faculty and staff, but the tradition continues and many teachers have been known to be avid readers.
Shawnee Mission East is home to a variety of clubs.
One notable club at Shawnee Mission East is the SHARE club, the largest student-run volunteer club in the United States. It has many different projects ranging from sock collection to tutoring elementary schools students. SHARE celebrated 30 years of community service in 2016 
The Shawnee Mission East FRC robotics team, Sargon 2335, is also a prominent feature of the school.
The Lancers compete in the Sunflower League and are classified as a 6A, the largest classification in Kansas according to the KSHSAA. Throughout its history, Shawnee Mission East has won many state championships in various sports.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Cross Country, Boys||2||1966, 1967|
|Cross Country, Girls||6||1982, 1983, 1989, 1993, 1997, 1999|
|Winter||Swimming and Diving, Boys||15||1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1985, 1990, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017|
|Spring||Golf, Boys||10||1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016|
|Golf, Girls||5||1979, 1980, 1987, 2012, 2015|
|Tennis, Boys||27||1959, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1975,1978, 1980, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012 (won both singles & doubles titles in some years), 2013, 2014|
|Tennis, Girls||17||1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1991, 1992, 1995, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014|
|Baseball||3||1984, 1995, 2016|
|Rugby||4||1999, 2001, 2002, 2004|
|Soccer, Girls||3||1997, 1999, 2000|
|Lacrosse, Boys||4||2011 (LAKS), 2012 (LAKC), 2013, 2016|
|Swimming and Diving, Girls||16||1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1988, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016|
Debate and forensics
The debate and forensics teams are the 31st largest in the nation in regard to National Forensics League degrees. Debate teams have been Kansas state champions more than once. The Shawnee Mission East debate squad has qualified more teams in Kansas history than any other Kansas school to the Tournament of Champions in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Sandahl Bergman, actress
- George Brophy, former professional baseball executive
- W. Bruce Cameron, author
- John D. Carmack, video game programmer, id Software co-founder, lead programmer of the classic video game Doom.
- Eric Darnell, director, writer, songwriter, animator, voice actor.
- Steve Doerr, former professional soccer player
- Donald Fehr, Major League Baseball players union representative
- Thomas Frank, founder of The Baffler, Harper's columnist and author of What's the Matter with Kansas?
- Nancy Opel, singer/actress with Tony Award nomination
- G.P. "Bud" Peterson, President of the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ramesh Ponnuru, senior editor for National Review
- Melissa Rooker, Kansas House of Representatives
- Jim Roth, member of Oklahoma Corporation Commission, first openly gay statewide official in Oklahoma
- Grant Wahl, writer for Sports Illustrated
- Joey Wentz, professional baseball pitcher
- Education in Kansas
- List of high schools in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- Shawnee Mission North High School
- Shawnee Mission South High School
- Shawnee Mission West High School
- GNIS entry for Shawnee Mission East High School; USGS; November 16, 2006.
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Shawnee Mission East HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List
- "IB Diploma Program" (English). Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- Milky Way; Pitch; May 24, 2001.
- "State Records & State Champions" (English). Retrieved 2010-02-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shawnee Mission East High School.|