Shawnee Mission Northwest High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Shawnee Mission Northwest High School|
12701 West 67th Street|
Shawnee, Kansas 66216
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Shawnee Mission School District (USD 512)|
|Athletic Director||Angelo Giacalone|
|Band Director||Ann Snead|
|Rival||Shawnee Mission East High School|
|Newspaper||The Northwest Passage|
|Yearbook||The Northwest Lair|
|Communities served||Shawnee Mission|
Shawnee Mission Northwest High School is a fully accredited public high school located in Shawnee, Kansas, United States, serving students in grades 9-12. The current principal is Lisa Grumann. Shawnee Mission Northwest is one of many schools located within Shawnee, Kansas and surrounding areas. The school colors are orange, black, and white. The school population is approximately 1,850 students.
Shawnee Mission Northwest was founded in 1969 in order to help educate the increasing number of students due to the emerging population of Shawnee Mission. The school launched the International Baccalaureate program at the start of the 2008-2009 school year. Shawnee Mission Northwest is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 6A division and are known as the "Cougars".
Shawnee Mission Northwest High School was established in 1969 to help educate the increasing populations of Shawnee and Overland Park, Kansas. In 1998, a mural of evolution was painted near the science rooms in the school which created controversy throughout the school and the city. The mural depicted many things including DNA, cells, photosynthesis, and a four chambered heart. In addition to this, the mural also depicted in a series of walking figures, the evolution of man, from a hunched-over, hairy, apelike creature to the modern man. The mural offended many students and their parents and a large debate was held concerning whether to paint over the mural. In the end, the mural was left alone and remains today.
In 2008, Shawnee Mission Northwest launched the International Baccalaureate program for the 2008-2009 school year.
In 2004, history teacher Dan Fullerton was named the 2004 Kansas Outstanding Teacher of American History by the Kansas Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
In 2005, social studies teacher Ron Poplau was named a Disney Teacher Award Honoree.
The Cougars compete in the Sunflower League and are classified as a 6A school, the largest classification in Kansas according to the KSHSAA. Throughout its history, Shawnee Mission Northwest has won many state championships in various sports. Many graduates have gone on to participate in Division I, Division II, and Division III athletics. Spanning from 1994–2007, the Northwest boys varsity cross-country team won the state title for fourteen consecutive years and nineteen years overall.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Gymnastics, Girls||8||1985, 1986, 1993, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2010|
|Soccer, Boys||4||1990, 1993, 1998, 1999|
|Cross Country, Boys||20||1977, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012|
|Cross Country, Girls||13||1980, 1981, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2011|
|Spring||Golf, Boys||2||1985, 1989|
|Golf, Girls||2||1998, 1999|
|Track & Field, Boys||3||2002, 2011, 2012|
|Tennis, Boys||1||1997, 2002|
|Baseball||3||1990, 1991, 1993|
|Softball||6||1976, 1994, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003|
School newspaper and yearbook
The school newspaper is The Northwest Passage and the yearbook is The Northwest Lair. The Passage, Lair, and the journalism website received national scholastic journalism awards: at the NSPA convention in Seattle, WA, the 2011 "Lair" received a Silver Crown and Pacemaker Award and "The Northwest Passage" received a Gold Crown.
- 1976 graduate Craig Bolerjack, sport commentator
- 1988 graduate Sean Wheelock, sports commentator
- 1988 graduate Kristin Willits (Richardson), Actress known for her work on Jarhead (2005), Rock Star (2001) and Shut Up and Kiss Me! (2004).
- 2000 graduate Ryan Lilja, former American football guard for the Kansas State Wildcats in college then professionally for Kansas City Chiefs and Indianapolis Colts
- 2004 graduate Mike Rivera, former linebacker for the Kansas Jayhawks, played professionally for five National Football League teams
- 2004 graduate Ryan Torain, former running back for the Arizona State Sun Devils, played professionally for three National Football League teams
- 2008 graduate Alex Carder, former quarterback for the Western Michigan Broncos, plays professionally for the Portland Thunder in the Arena Football League
- 2014 graduate Alexis Railsback, Miss Kansas USA 2015
- Education in Kansas
- List of high schools in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- Shawnee Mission East High School
- Shawnee Mission North High School
- Shawnee Mission South High School
- Shawnee Mission West High School
- GNIS entry for Shawnee Mission Northwest High School; USGS; November 16, 2006.
- High School CEEB Code Search
- Northwest Website, October 11th 2015
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List Archived 2010-09-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- "School Search - Shawnee Mission Northwest HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Mural of Evolution Creates a Debate, Faculty will Discuss Concerns of Christian Students and Parents". Kansas City Star. Kansas City Star. 2010-02-16.
- "NW Teacher Receives State Honor". Kansas City Star. Kansas City Star. 2010-02-16.
- "Ronald Poplau Shawnee Mission Northwest School, Shawnee, KS" (PDF).
- Martin, Francine (April 26, 2009). "KSHSAA Cross Country". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Archived from the original on August 20, 2003. Retrieved April 26, 2009.
- "State Records & State Champions". Archived from the original (English) on 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shawnee Mission Northwest High School.|