Shawnee Mission Parkway
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (June 2010)|
|Length:||14.0 mi (22.5 km)|
|West end:||K-7 in Shawnee, Kansas|
|East end:||US 56 (Ward Parkway) in Kansas City, Missouri|
Shawnee Mission Parkway is a stretch of roadway in Johnson County, Kansas and Jackson County, Missouri (only a fragment). Its western terminus at K-7 in Shawnee, Kansas and its eastern terminus at Ward Parkway in Kansas City, Missouri. The roadway is signed as US 56 from Interstate 35 to its eastern terminus, with US-69 overlapping from I-35 to Metcalf Avenue, and US-169 overlapping from I-35 to Rainbow Boulevard.
The Shawnee Mission Parkway mainly functions to connect the main cities included in the Shawnee Mission, KS mailing address. All of the cities it passes through in Kansas are included in the mailing address.
- U.S. Route 56 - US 56 has always followed Shawnee Mission Parkway since its commissioning. It leaves its concurrency with I-35 in Merriam and follows Shawnee Mission Parkway into Missouri
- U.S. Route 69 - US-69 follows Shawnee Mission Parkway from I-35 in Merriam to Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park, where it turns north. Before the 18th Street Expressway (and later I-35) was built, US-69 was concurrent with US-169 in southern Overland Park and followed Metcalf before heading east on SMP and north on Rainbow, the current route of US-169
- U.S. Route 169 - US-169 follows Shawnee Mission Parkway from I-35 in Merriam to Rainbow Boulevard in Mission Woods, where it heads north to Kansas City.
The parkway has formerly served on these highways:
- K-10 - K-10 followed Shawnee Mission Parkway from K-7 to Merriam Drive. Shawnee Mission Parkway was signed as Spur K-10 for 0.25 mile to I-35 to bridge the gap to US-56.
- K-12 - When the current K-10 expressway was originally completed between K-7 and I-435, it was originally signed as K-12. When the entire expressway was completed from Lawrence to I-435 in Lenexa, K-10 was signed for the entire freeway, and K-12 was realigned to follow the old K-10 routing on Shawnee Mission Parkway to Merriam Drive. The former Spur K-10 was then resigned as Spur K-12. K-12 was decommissioned in 1992.
- U.S. Route 50 - US 50 used to follow Shawnee Mission Parkway from I-35 into Missouri. When I-435 was completed, US 50 was rerouted to overlap I-435 into Missouri
- K-58 - the original K-58 followed Shawnee Mission Parkway from Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park to Roe Avenue in Mission until its 1979 decommissioning
Shawnee Mission Parkway passes through the following cities:
- Shawnee, Kansas
- Merriam, Kansas
- Overland Park, Kansas
- Mission, Kansas
- Roeland Park, Kansas
- Fairway, Kansas
- Westwood, Kansas
- Mission Woods, Kansas
- Kansas City, Missouri
Shawnee Mission Parkway largely consists of at-grade intersections. However, there are several roads only accessible by exit from Shawnee Mission Parkway.
Exits are not numbered.
- K-7 in Shawnee, KS (western terminus; road continues as 67th Street)
- I-435 in Shawnee, KS
- Maurer Road in Shawnee, KS
- Lackman Road in Shawnee, KS
- Merriam Drive in Merriam, KS
- I-35 / US-69 south / US-169 south / US-56 west in Merriam, KS (west end of overlap with US-56, US-69, US-169)
- US-69 north (Metcalf Avenue) in Mission, KS (east end of overlap with US-69)
- Johnson Drive in Fairway, KS (westbound exit and eastbound entrance only)
- US-169 north (Rainbow Boulevard) in Mission Woods, KS (east end of overlap with US-169)
- US 56 east (Ward Parkway) in Kansas City, MO (eastern terminus, east end of overlap with US-56)