McCartan training with Accrington Stanley in 2014
|Full name||Seamus Vincent McCartan|
|Date of birth||18 May 1994|
|Place of birth||Newry, Northern Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|2013||→ Hyde (loan)||16||(1)|
|2010–2011||Northern Ireland U17||5||(3)|
|2011–2012||Northern Ireland U19||3||(2)|
|2013–||Northern Ireland U21||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:58, 23 March 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Seamus Vincent "Shay" McCartan (born 18 May 1994) is a Northern Irish professional footballer who plays as a forward for League Two side Accrington Stanley. He also plays for the Northern Ireland U21 national team.
McCartan joined Burnley in May 2010 on a two-year scholarship, having previously played for Glenavon and Banbridge Town. He made his debut for the club in April 2012. He has represented Northern Ireland at various youth levels, and on 26 April 2012 was called up to the Northern Ireland U21 Squad for the first time.
McCartan started his career with his local side Banbridge Town, where he played for several years. In 2009, he joined Glenavon, where he spent one season. He also represented County Down in the 2009 Milk Cup and was named as the side's player of the tournament. In May 2010, McCartan signed for Burnley on a two-year apprenticeship, beating off competition from other clubs. Burnley paid a compensation fee to both Glenavon and Banbridge. He was part of the squad that got to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1978, scoring a last minute goal against West Bromwich Albion in the process.
McCartan was first involved with the first team squad in September 2011, when he was an unused substitute in the 2–1 League Cup victory over Milton Keynes Dons. His first Football League Championship involvement was in April 2012, when he was an unused substitute against Brighton & Hove Albion. On 9 April 2012, McCartan made his professional debut in a 2–1 win over Doncaster Rovers, coming on as a substitute for Josh McQuoid in the final minute.
McCartan made his debut for the Northern Ireland U17 side in October 2010, in the 2011 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship qualifying round, a 0–0 draw with Montenegro. He scored his first goal for Northern Ireland in a 6–0 qualifying win over Azerbaijan. Northern Ireland qualified for the elite round of qualifying after finishing second in the group. Their first group game was a 3–2 defeat to England, with McCartan bagging a brace. His form for the under-17s saw him get called up to the under-19 squad. He made his debut in October 2011, scoring in the 3–1 win over Belarus, in qualification for the 2012 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship. On 26 April 2012, still aged just 17, McCartan was called up to the Northern Ireland U21 squad for the first time for their European Under 21 qualifying game against Macedonia. However, he remained an unused substitute. On 12 July 2012, McCartan was called up for the under-19's as part of the Milk Cup squad, along with fellow Burnley player Luke Conlan.
On 21 July 2012 McCartan scored in a 5–3 defeat to Chile.
- As of match played 21 March 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Hyde (loan)||2012–13||Conference Premier||16||1||—||—||—||16||1|
|Accrington Stanley||2013–14||League Two||18||1||0||0||2||0||1[a]||0||21||1|
- Appearance(s) in Football League Trophy
Also a Gaelic footballer, he won a MacRory Cup winners medal with St Colman's College, Newry in March 2010, coming on as a substitute in the final at Casement Park. All-Ireland success in the Hogan Cup followed in April 2010, with McCartan scoring his school's only goal. In May 2011, McCartan appeared for Down minors in the Ulster Minor Football Championship. He scored a hat-trick but ended up on the losing team.
- "List of Players Registered as Scholars in Accordance with Rule C.3 Between 01/08/2010 and 31/08/2010" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "McCartan, SV (Shay)", English National Football Archive
- "JUNIORS SIGN BURNLEY DEAL". Banbridge Leader. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Locals shine as County Down's Juniors are cream of the counties at Milk Cup". Darming Life. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Burnley sign teenage Northern Ireland striker". Lancashire Telegraph. 24 May 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Late Shay goal sees Burnley through in Youth Cup". ClaretsMad. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Burnley 2 – 1 MK Dons". BBC Sport. 20 September 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "It's giving the fans a taste of what the future is going to be about". 6 April 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Clarets hit perfect 10 – but Howe laments home failings". 10 April 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "McCartan aims to earn his stripes". 31 January 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Northern Ireland v. Montenegro". Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Azerbaijan v. Northern Ireland". Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "U17s QUALIFY FOR ELITE ROUND". Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "England v. Northern Ireland". Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Belarus 1–3 Northern Ireland". Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Northern McCartan Gets First Under-21 Call". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Clarets Pair Aim To Be Cream of the Crop". Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Burnley 2011/2012 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Burnley 2012/2013 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Hyde 2012/2013 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Accrington Stanley 2013/2014 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Accrington Stanley 2014/2015 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Colman's clinch MacRory Cup title". BBC News. 17 March 2010.
- "Colman's clinch Hogan Cup title". BBC News. 10 April 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shay McCartan.|
- Shay McCartan career statistics at Soccerbase
- Career Statistics at Soccerway
- Shay McCartan – UEFA competition record