She's Gotta Have It (TV series)
|She's Gotta Have It|
|Created by||Spike Lee|
She's Gotta Have It|
by Spike Lee
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
Tonya Lewis Lee
|Running time||31–38 minutes|
40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks
|Original release||November 23, 2017– present|
She's Gotta Have It is an American comedy-drama television series created by Spike Lee. It is based on his 1986 film of the same name. Ten thirty-minute episodes were ordered by Netflix, all of which were directed by Lee. The show premiered on November 23, 2017. On January 1, 2018 the series was renewed for a second season.
Cast and characters
- DeWanda Wise as Nola Darling
- Anthony Ramos as Mars Blackmon
- Lyriq Bent as Jamie Overstreet
- Cleo Anthony as Greer Childs
- Chyna Layne as Shemekka Epps(season 2; recurring season 1)
- Margot Bingham as Clorinda Bradford
- Ilfenesh Hadera as Opal Gilstrap
- Kim Director as Vicky Street
- Sydney Morton as Cheryl Overstreet
- Elise Hudson as Rachel
- De'Adre Aziza as Raqueletta Moss
- Elvis Nolasco as Papo
- Heather Headley as Dr Jamison
- Fat Joe as Winnie Win
This section's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"#DaJumpoff (DOCTRINE)"||Spike Lee||Spike Lee||November 23, 2017|
Artist Nola Darling's romantic life in gentrified Brooklyn is characterized by sexual freedom as she juggles three open-relationships with thoughtful Jamie, care-free Mars, and cocky Greer. Despite her wish to manage her sexual relationships on her own terms, the three men struggle to accept her independence.Songs featured in episode: Between the Sheets (song) by The Isley Brothers, Set it Off by Strafe (band), Pretty Wings by Maxwell, Tender Love by Force MDs and Golden (Jill Scott song) by Jill Scott.
|2||"#BootyFull (SELF ACCEPTANCE)"||Spike Lee||Radha Blank||November 23, 2017|
The episode opens with Nola giving a monologue about the black female form. She states that she wants to paint a portrait of featuring her friend Shemekka because she is representative of a Brooklyn-based black feminine style.During the painting of the portrait, Shemekka reveals that she met Nola at a house party when Nola spilled a drink on her.Songs featured in episode: The Seed (2.0) by The Roots, Losing You by Solange Knowles
|3||"#LBD (LITTLE BLACK DRESS)"||Spike Lee||Lynn Nottage||November 23, 2017|
Nola presents her " Little Black Dress," in her three encounters with the men she is dating.Songs featured in episode: You Make Me Feel So Young by Frank Sinatra, Autumn Serenade by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Keep Looking by Sade and Anytime by Brian McKnight.
|4||"#LuvIzLuv (SEXUALITY IS FLUID)"||Spike Lee||Eisa Davis||November 23, 2017|
Nola decides for the time being, she does not want a man in her loving bed. The audience is then introduced to Opal Gilstrap, a former love interest of Nola. She and Nola rekindle their sexual relationship. The pair spend more time with each other and Nola speaks about Opal with her therapist. While Nola and Opal are on the street, they run into Greer, and Nola acts embarrassed by Opal. Opal has a daughter, and she and Nola begin to bond, but she promises to see her before her bedtime and arrives too late.Opal is upset at Nola's lack of commitment, and they end their fling. Looking at the upside of things, Nola makes it to the second round of the Catlett Prize.Songs featured in episode: Say Yes by Floetry, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by Rhythms Del Mundo, U2 and Coco Freeman, Fool of Me by Meshell Ndegeocello
|5||"#4MyNegusAndMyBishes (ALL WORDS MATTER)"||Spike Lee||Barry Michael Cooper||November 23, 2017|
|Nola embarks on her new journey as an art teacher. She faces many challenges along the way. As for Shemekka, she decides to make a drastic change for her dance career to take off.|
|6||"#HeGotItAllMixedUp (DYSLEXIA)"||Spike Lee||Cinqué Lee||November 23, 2017|
|Nola becomes increasingly nervous as her opening night arrives. Meanwhile, Shemekka's debut with her dance career coincides with Nola's group show. When the guys discover that they aren't invited to Nola's big night, they decide to take matters into their own hands.|
|7||"#HowToMakeLoveToANegroWithoutGettingTired"||Spike Lee||Joie Lee||November 23, 2017|
|Greer opens up the episode about his first encounter with Nola. But now he's ready to be exclusive.|
|8||"#LoveDontPayDaRent (IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME BY NOW)"||Spike Lee||Barry Michael Cooper||November 23, 2017|
The episode opens with a montage of characters reacting to the election of Donald Trump as well as article clippings and photographs of the new president. We then cut to Nola smoking on her bed when she receives a call from Greer asking if he can come over. Nola tells Greer that she has sold one of her paintings, but when he asks her out to lunch she declines; they instead have sex. While sleeping with Greer, she calls out "Overstreet," which is Jamie's last name. She makes up an excuse and brushes his questions off. We then cut to Jamie's wife sitting in his office waiting for him. She shows Jamie a picture on her phone of the self-portrait he purchased from Nola and asks "Who is this woman in the portrait?" She confronts Jamie about the $10,000 check made out to a Nola Darling. They have a back-and-forth which culminates in Sheryl leaving angrily. Next, Nola is seen trying to purchase art supplies when her debit card is declined. Her rent check has also bounced, causing her landlord to give a two-day eviction notice. Nola angrily calls Jamie to ask him why he would cancel the check. Jamie responds by saying he will fix the situation in which Nola replies that she wants her painting back. Trying to make up the money to pay her rent, Nola tries to sell some of her artwork in front of her brownstone apartment to some tourists to no avail.Songs featured in episode: I Know by Dionne Farris, Mercy by Prefab Sprout, Outta Here by KRS-One
|9||"#ChangeGonCome (GENTRIFICATION)"||Spike Lee||Radha Blank||November 23, 2017|
|Songs featured in episode:This Woman's Work by Maxwell, Faithful by Meshell Ndegeocello|
|10||"#NolasChoice (3 DA HARD WAY)"||Spike Lee||Spike Lee||November 23, 2017|
While Nola's parents are celebrating Thanksgiving with family, she decides to invite Mars, Jamie and Greer over for dinner.Songs featured in episode: Be Real Black For Me by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway, Raspberry Beret by Prince
She’s Gotta Have It has received positive reviews from critics. On Metacritic the show currently holds a score of 77 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating “generally favorable reviews”. On Rotten Tomatoes it currently holds a 87% “Certified Fresh” rating. The site’s consensus reads: “Fun, fascinating and feminist, Spike Lee's classic is born again for a new generation.”
- Stanhope, Kate (September 15, 2016). "Netflix Teams With Spike Lee for 'She's Gotta Have It' Series". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 15, 2016). "Netflix Orders 'She's Gotta Have It' Spike Lee Series Based On His Landmark Movie". Deadline Hollywood.
- Workneh, Lilly (2017-06-26). "Spike Lee's 'She's Gotta Have It' Is Being Adapted Into Show For Netflix". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 14, 2016). "'She's Gotta Have It': DeWanda Wise To Play Lead Nola Darling In Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 28, 2016). "'She's Gotta Have It': 'Hamilton's Anthony Ramos Cast In Spike Lee Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 18, 2016). "'She's Gotta Have It': Lyriq Bent Cast As A Male Lead In Spike Lee Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 17, 2016). "'She's Gotta Have It': Cleo Anthony Cast As A Male Lead In Spike Lee Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood.
- Denise, Petski (2016-11-04). "'She's Gotta Have It': Chyna Layne & Ilfenesh Hadera Cast In Spike Lee Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- Denise, Petski (2018-01-25). "'She's Gotta Have It': Chyna Layne Upped To Series Regular For Season 2 Of Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Denise, Petski (2016-11-08). "'She's Gotta Have It' Adds Kim Director; 'Vikings' Casts Ida Marie Nielsen". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- Denise, Petski (2016-10-21). "Ellen Wong Joins Netflix's 'G.L.O.W.; 'She's Gotta Have It' Adds Sydney Morton". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "She's Gotta Have it". IMDb.com. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Brody, Richard. "Spike Lee's "She's Gotta Have It" Remake Is a Panorama of Anguish, Ambition, and Identity". The New Yorker. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Keller, Joel. "Spike Lee on Bringing She's Gotta Have It—and a Gentrified Brooklyn—to Netflix". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Williams, Brennan (25 Jan 2017). "Chrisette Michele: My Family Cut Me Off For Performing At Inauguration". Huffington Post. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- "She's Gotta Have It (2017)". Metacritic. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "She's Gotta Have It: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 29 November 2017.