|Also known as||Imagery By Sound, 4ikai, D7VON|
|Years active||2003-2013 (hiatus), 2015-|
she is a band that was formed in 2003 by the artist Lain Trzaska, and is sometimes credited as shemusic or Pjat Lain. As its main producer, songwriter, and instrumentalist, Lain is the only official member of she but he occasionally brings in vocalists to perform. On October 26, 2013, Lain announced that he was working on his third solo project D7VON that would focus on his more personal side and Dark Electro/Industrial music.
In 1997, Lain began creating music using FastTracker for computer games he had created.
In 2003, Lain Started his project "she" that would deviate from his Game music sound into more band oriented music, starting with his first official release Emit and Exude in 2004. Emit and Exude explored a more Ambient and Industrial sound while still retaining some elements from his Game music including Chiptune and Game sound elements.
In June 2008, shortly after releasing Coloris, "she" was contacted by Japanese music label Pony Canyon for a record deal. Pony Canyon would release the coloris album in Physical and Digital format throughout the Asian market but Lain would retained his worldwide copyright, excluding Japan.
In May 2012, Lain announced that "she" has been put on indefinite hiatus. He later clarified that only the band has been put on hiatus, not himself as an artist. A few days later, Lain announced that "shemusic" (that is, his style of music blend [mainly Electro House/Chiptune and Ambient Acoustic] released under his band "she") was going to split in two. Lain announced the new band as "Imagery by Sound". "she" and "Imagery by Sound" are now the two sides of "shemusic". While "she" follows its way on Electro House & Chiptune, "Imagery by Sound" focuses now on the "ambient/acoustic & electro experimental aspect of "shemusic". "Imagery by Sound" features the previous albums (Insomnia, Days, Digital Ambient Designs) from "she" as a related musical legacy.
The upcoming "Nights" album will be released under "Imagery by Sound".
In September 2012, Trzaska announced that shemusic would release a new LP titled "Electric Girl", which had been put on the shelf in 2010.
In November 2014, Trzaska announced a new she album to be released during Spring 2015, with a single from the album to be released a few weeks before it. This release was pushed back to December 2015, when she's next album, Chiptune Memories, is due to be released.
While she's music can be labeled as electronica and chiptune, it incorporates elements from ambient and classical music. Using a mixture of old 8-bit computers and modern equipment, she's music is produced in the bitpop style.
While she's albums are electronic in nature, they can vary in genres from album to album. For example, she's first release, Emit and Exude, is a blend of industrial/electro with electric guitars; the third release, Pioneer, is a chiptune album that uses a Game Boy as the main instrument, and the first major release, Coloris, is a dance/electronica album.
Visuals and design
The graphic illustrations and designs surrounding she's releases are directly connected with each album and both the images and music are intended to tell a story. For example, the days album was created as a short story where each song introduces a new chapter. Lain describes that while the sounds, effects, and lyrics give clues to the story of the album, "the listener would find himself creating images and events in his head, completing the story".
A recurring theme in she's art is that some images seem to be damaged or poorly compressed in certain parts. Just like with the music distortion, the images give the impression that the file is incomplete, broken and not correctly displayed.
The Electric Girl album was originally planned for a release in 2010, but was later postponed until November 2012. She's newest album "Chiptune Memories" was released in December 2015.
- Nights (under Imagery by Sound) - TBA
- Orion - September 16, 2009
- Coloris - June 17, 2008
- Come See Me - September 21, 2014
- Insomnia by Imagery by Sound - December 6, 2012
- Electric Girl - November 29, 2012 (November 10, 2010 was intended release date)
- Journeys - May 10, 2011
- Chiptek - November 1, 2008
- days - June 17, 2007
- Pioneer - December 20, 2006
- digital ambient designs - March 16, 2005
- Emit and Exude - May 4, 2004
- Easy Action - September 13, 2013
- Archetype - July 19, 2013
- Come See Me - June 25, 2013
- Break The Silence - March 28, 2013
- Since You Left - March 3, 2013
- Distortia - January 13, 2013
- Always Yours - December 13, 2012
- Make Me Real - March 25, 2011
- 2008/Chiptune Superstar - December 20, 2008
- Songbird - February 10, 2007
- And Beyond - July 5, 2005
- shemusic.org, about
- "8bitpeoples". Retrieved 1 March 2013. - she's discography page on 8bitpeoples
- The Japan Times Online, Orion Review
- "Pony Canyon’s 2009 New Artist "she" talks to Ningin - exclusive interview". Ningin. 12 December 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Twitter / @shemusic". Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Twitter / @shemusic". Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Trzaska, Lain. "What is Imagery by Sound?". Imagery by Sound. Lain Trzaska. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "she on Twitter: The New shemusic Chiptune #chiptune #music #8bit".
- Interview on Ningin.com
- shemusic.org, image
- IMDb, 12 FL OZ cast
- Imagery by Sound - About
- iTunes - Music - Insomnia by Imagery by Sound
- Twitter / shemusic, A tweet about Since You Left with Soundcloud song embedded.
- She - Make me Real, promotional content on she's site regarding the release date
- Twitter / shemusic, A tweet about Make Me Real.
- shemusic Official website
- shemusic on Facebook
- shemusic on Myspace
- shemusic on Last.fm
- shemusic on SoundCloud