She Never Cried in Front of Me
|"She Never Cried in Front of Me"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy|
|Released||July 7, 2008|
|Label||Show Dog Nashville|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"She Never Cried in Front of Me" is a single by American country music singer Toby Keith co-written by him and Bobby Pinson. It was released in July 2008 as the first single for his studio album, That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy, released on October 28. For the week of November 1, 2008, the song has become his 17th Number One hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
The song is a mid-tempo ballad in which the narrator watches his former lover getting married. Upon doing so, he sees her crying, which makes him think of "all the hell" he put her through when they were together, thinking that nothing was wrong with her, because she "never cried in front of [him]".
Bobby Pinson wrote the song with Keith at Keith's house in mid-2007. According to Pinson, he sat down at Keith's piano and the two started working on the song there. According to Keith, it was the first time that he ever sat down at a piano to write a song, and he thought that it "changed everything. It brought a whole new approach to the melody."
The song received a "thumbs down" review from the country music site Engine 145. Reviewer Brady Vercher stated that the "lyric fleshes out too many irrelevant details that end up creating all sorts of logical fallacies", and that the song was generally over-produced. He also considered it derivative of Tracy Lawrence's 1994 hit "I See It Now", which also features a storyline based on a man's realization of "all the hell" he has put a former lover through. Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A-minus, saying that Keith "sings the hell out of" the song, but criticizing the "arena rock" production of the chorus.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||57|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven"
by Kenny Chesney with The Wailers
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
November 1, 2008
"Just a Dream"
by Carrie Underwood
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Vercher, Brady (2008-07-03). "Toby Keith - "She Never Cried In Front Of Me"". Engine 145. Retrieved 2008-07-13.
- Horner-Conaway, Alanna (2008-12-29). "Story Behind the Song: Piano Men Create Hit". Country Weekly. 15 (26): 15.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.
- "American single certifications – Toby Keith – She Never Cried in Front of Me". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 7, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH