She Used to Be Mine (Sara Bareilles song)
|"She Used to Be Mine"|
|Single by Sara Bareilles|
|from the album What's Inside: Songs from Waitress|
|Released||September 25, 2015|
|Sara Bareilles singles chronology|
"She Used to Be Mine" is a song written by American singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles for Waitress, a musical stage adaptation of the 2007 film of the same name. It was recorded by Bareilles for her fifth studio album, What's Inside: Songs from Waitress (2015), and was released to digital retailers as its lead single on September 25, 2015.
"She Used to Be Mine" is a sentimental ballad written and composed by Sara Bareilles with a duration of four minutes and ten seconds (4:10). The song is instrumented primarily by the piano and also features guitar. Bareilles' vocal performance has been described as "powerful", with a vocal range of F3 to D5. According to the digital sheet music published by Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the song is composed in the key of F major with a "moderately slow" tempo. Lyrically, the song discusses losing one's sense of self and struggling with changes in circumstances, sung from the perspective of the musical's protagonist, Jenna. In the Broadway production, it is usually played in the key of G-flat major, and was played in the key of G major for the original Boston production. When both Sara Bareilles and Katharine McPhee took on the roles, the song was played again in F major.
Madison Vain of Entertainment Weekly called the song "delicate, nostalgic, and wonderfully theatrical," in the magazine's "7 Tracks We Loved This Week" feature and praised the song as "a beautiful introduction" to the musical's story. Charles Isherwood of The New York Times said it is a “gentle but wrenching song, featuring a melody that soars and then recedes in waves, is the high point of the show—and for that matter a high point of the Broadway season. Suddenly, a pleasant and polished but weightless musical comedy rises to transporting heights, and sweeps up your heart along with it.”
"She Used to Be Mine" was the most-added song on hot adult contemporary (Hot AC) radio the week of its release, according to radio monitoring organization Mediabase. The song debuted at number 40 on the Billboard Adult Pop Songs chart on the chart dated October 17, 2015.
|Chart (2015)||Peak |
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||26|
|US Digital Songs (Billboard)||49|
|Worldwide||September 25, 2015||Digital download|||
|United States||September 28, 2015||Hot adult contemporary radio|||
- Lipshutz, Jason (September 24, 2015). "Sara Bareilles Announces 'What's Inside: Songs From Waitress' Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "She Used To Be Mine - Single by Sara Bareilles". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Tonys: 'Waitress' Stars Sara Bareilles, Jessie Mueller Perform "She Used to Be Mine"". The Hollywood Reporter. June 12, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2018.
- Malach, Maggie (September 25, 2015). "Sara Bareilles' "She Used To Be Mine" Lyrics Prove This Is One Of Her Most Relatable Songs Ever". Bustle. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Sara Bareilles "She Used to Be Mine" Sheet Music". MusicNotes. Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Reilly, Kaitlin (October 1, 2015). "Is Sara Bareilles' "She Used To Be Mine" On Spotify? Here's What You Need To Know". Bustle. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Vain, Madison; Brown, Eric Renner; Falcone, Dana Rose (October 2, 2015). "7 tracks we loved this week: Daughter, Thomas Rhett, Sara Bareilles, and more". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Isherwood, Charles (April 24, 2016). "Review: Jessie Mueller Serves a Slice of Life (With Pie) in Sara Bareilles's 'Waitress'". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- Cantor, Brian (September 28, 2015). "Sara Bareilles' "She Used To Be Mine" Ranks as Hot AC Radio's Most-Added Song". Headline Planet. Cantortainment. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Sara Bareilles Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sara Bareilles Chart History (Digital Songs)". Billboard.
- Other international digital releases:
- In Australia: "She Used To Be Mine - Single by Sara Bareilles". iTunes Store (Australia). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- In Canada: "She Used To Be Mine - Single by Sara Bareilles". iTunes Store (Canada). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- In the UK: "She Used To Be Mine - Single by Sara Bareilles". iTunes Store (UK). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: Hot AC" (Week Of: September 28, 2015). Radio & Records. Retrieved October 6, 2015.