She Will Be Loved
|"She Will Be Loved by this big d"|
|Single by Maroon 5|
|from the album Songs About Jane|
|Released||July 27, 2004|
|Maroon 5 singles chronology|
"She Will Be Loved" is the third single on the American band Maroon 5's 2002 debut album, Songs About Jane. Released in 2004, the single peaked at #5 in the United States, and by December 2012 had sold more than 2,722,000 digital downloads. It peaked at #4 in the United Kingdom. In Australia, it reached #1, a position it held for 5 non-consecutive weeks. The single is noted for its music video starring Kelly Preston in a mother-daughter love triangle with lead singer Adam Levine. The video is also in Sepia.
The song proved as successful as the band's previous hits, "This Love" and "Harder to Breathe", hitting number 1 on the Mainstream Top 40 and Adult Top 40 charts, but it prompted many alternative radio outlets to remove Maroon 5 from their playlists, on the ground that the band's newer songs were too light for alt-rock audiences. These stations continued to play "Harder to Breathe" and "This Love", but Maroon 5's newer hits were played only on pop and adult contemporary stations. As of June 2014, the song has sold 3,197,000 copies in the US.
The music video for "She Will Be Loved" tells a sad love story, featuring a lovelorn socialite (Kelly Preston) and her rich, deadbeat, abusive husband, whose relationship is juxtaposed with that of their daughter's (Corinne Carrey) relationship with a young man (played by lead singer Adam Levine). The younger man, however, constantly obsesses over his girlfriend's mother, understanding that, although she is constantly rejected by her husband and that her life is one of emotional anxiety, she is nonetheless beautiful and attractive, and possibly more so than his own girlfriend.
The video is commonly compared to the film The Graduate as it has similarities with the storyline between the daughter, the boyfriend and the mother.
The video starts with Levine standing in front of a swimming pool. As he's about to dive in, flashbacks appear: a younger woman swimming in a pool, Levine and the younger woman sharing a kiss, Levine comforting another woman who appears to be in distress, the older woman hiding alone in her car, and the older woman embracing the young man. Levine front-flips into the pool and is submerged underwater, completely unaware of what's to happen to him in falling in love that summer. Flashbacks show the two women walking side by side in the city as someone watches them from his/her car and all three protagonists are face to face, hinting at events that will ensue.
After which, the young man and his girlfriend visit her home and dive into a swimming pool kissing. After they resurface from swimming, the young man looks to his girlfriend as she's being cared for by another woman who is revealed to be the girlfriend's mother. The mother helps her daughter dry from swimming and glances in the young man's direction. As the young couple relax at her parent's social gathering, everyone, except the young man, are oblivious to the reality that not everything is right in the mother's relationship with the much older man.
One night while walking down the stairs, the young man comes to find someone lying unconscious in the room. Recognizing the unconscious to be the mother, he goes to revive her and discovers that she's been abused by someone (judging by the red lipstick smeared across her face and other signs of physical abuse). The mother awakens and inexplicably kisses Levine, who returns her affections. Flashbacks reveal that the mother was abused by her husband.
The video features a twist in the ending as it is revealed the young man is not singing about the mother at all and is actually singing about her daughter. In a flashback, the daughter went walking down the stairs into room occupied by Levine and her mother and caught them in the middle of kissing. The line I tried so hard to say goodbye tells us that he tried to leave his girlfriend for her mother. However, he couldn't end the relationship as he still loves her.
Appearances in popular culture
Awards and achievements
In 2005, the song was nominated at the 47th Annual Grammy Awards in the Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals category.
Charts and certifications
- Paul Grein (December 5, 2012). "Week Ending Dec. 2, 2012. Songs: will & Brit". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- Trust, Gary (June 15, 2014). "Ask Billboard: MAGIC!'s 'Rude' Revives Reggae". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Australian-charts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Maroon 5.
- "Lescharts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Maroon 5 Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Chart Track: Week 35, 2004". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Italiancharts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Top Digital Download.
- "Mexico Airplay". May 5, 2012. Archived from the original on April 19, 2012.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Maroon 5 search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Top 40 Singles.
- "Nielsen Music Control". Archived from the original on 2008-05-08.
- "Swisscharts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2004-09-04" UK Singles Chart.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Maroon 5.
- "Pop Rock". Record Report. November 13, 2004. Archived from the original on November 13, 2004.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012)". Gaon Chart. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2004 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Music Canada.
- "British single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". British Phonographic Industry. Enter She Will Be Loved in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts". Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Top 100 2004 - UK Music Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Top 100 Hits of 2004". Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- "Top 100 Hits of 2005". Retrieved October 6, 2014.