Sheena Bora murder case
|Born||11 February 1987 |
|Died||24 April 2012 (aged 25)|
|Cause of death||Homicide (Strangulation)|
|Body discovered||Pen, Raigad|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts|
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College|
|Employer||Mumbai Metro One|
|Parent(s)||Siddhartha Das (father) & Indrani Mukerjea (mother)|
|Relatives||Mekhail Bora (brother)|
Peter Mukerjea (step-father)
Sanjeev Khanna (step-father)
Upendra Kumar Bora (grandfather)
Durga Rani Bora (grandmother)
Sheena Bora, an executive working for Mumbai Metro One based in Mumbai, went missing on 24 April 2012. In August 2015 Mumbai Police arrested her mother Indrani Mukerjea, her stepfather Sanjeev Khanna, and her mother's driver, Shyamvar Pinturam Rai, for allegedly abducting and killing her and subsequently burning her corpse. Khanna and Rai confessed to the crime, and Mukerjea has said that Sheena Bora is living in the United States.
Early life, family history and personal life
Sheena Das Bora and brother Mikhail were born to Pori Bora (later known as Indrani Mukerjea), an Indian HR consultant and media executive, and Siddhartha Das in 1987 in Shillong, Meghalaya. Indrani left the children under the care of her parents in Guwahati and moved to Kolkata. There she studied computers and stayed as a paying guest. Sheena and her brother were subsequently raised in the city of Guwahati by their maternal grandparents.
When Sheena Bora learned about her mother and moved to Mumbai in 2006, Indrani introduced her as her younger sister. Sheena was admitted to St. Xavier's College where she obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree (2006-2009). In 2009, she joined Reliance Infrastructure as a management trainee. In June 2011, Sheena joined Mumbai Metro One as an assistant manager.
On 24 April 2012, Sheena took a leave of absence and "sent in her written resignation". On the same day, Rahul Mukerjea (Sheena's step-brother who she was dating) received a breakup SMS from Sheena's phone. Her mother, Indrani, said that Sheena had gone to the United States for higher studies and hence a missing First Information Report was never filed. Sheena was never seen after 24 April 2012.
On Rahul's insistence, police visited Indrani's Worli residence where they were informed by the staff that Indrani was out of India. Upon her return, Indrani visited the Worli police station and informed the police that Rahul was trying to stalk Sheena and that was why Sheena had moved to the United States without informing him.
On 23 May 2012, local police in Pen tehsil, Raigad, found a body after villagers complained of a foul odor. No identification was made and the remains were sent to JJ Hospital in Mumbai. No link was made with the Sheena Bora case.
Discovery of death of Sheena Bora and subsequent investigation
Four months before her arrest, Mumbai police commenced surveillance of Indrani. The surveillance was initiated after a tip-off. Shyamvar Pinturam Rai, Indrani's driver, was arrested on 21 August 2015 for possession of illegal weapons and it was alleged that, during his interrogation, he revealed details of Sheena Bora's murder. On 26 August 2015, Sheena's brother Mikhail revealed that she was Indrani's daughter rather than sister.
Quoting the First Information Report filed by Mumbai police, the Hindustan Times reported that Rai had given a detailed account of the murder to police. It was Rai's allegation that Indrani had planned it and had discussed it with her ex-husband, Sanjeev Khanna. He alleged that Indrani had surveyed a likely area to dump the body the evening before the murder. On 24 April 2012, Khanna had flown to Mumbai and checked into the Hotel Hilltop at Worli. Rai alleged that Indrani had rented an Opel Corsa to facilitate abduction of Sheena and for disposal of her body. Indrani, he claimed, had earlier asked Sheena to meet her on the evening of 24 April 2012 and, though reluctant, she had agreed. At about 1800 hours on 24 April 2012, he went on, Indrani was joined by her ex-husband at his hotel in Worli. An hour later, when Sheena was dropped off by Rahul Mukerjea near National College on Linking Road in Bandra, Indrani, Sanjeev and driver Rai were there to meet her. Rai's account continued, alleging that Indrani sat next to him while Sheena was in the rear seat with Khanna. He said they took her to one of the by-lanes in Bandra and Khanna strangled her.
The police claimed that, after the murder, Sheena's body was taken to Indrani's house on Worli where it was put in a bag and stuffed in the trunk of the car.
Rai alleged that Khanna later left for his hotel while Indrani stayed home and Rai slept inside the car with the body in the trunk. In the early hours of 25 April 2012, he said, the three accused drove to the village of Gagode in Pen tehsil, Raigad. Concerned about the possibility of police checks, they propped Sheena's body up between Indrani and Khanna on the rear seat, as if asleep, rather than putting it in the boot.
At 0400 hours on 25 April 2012, police alleged, they dragged the body out of the car in an isolated spot in the forest, stuffed it back into the bag, poured petrol over it and set it ablaze. After the body was completely burnt, the accused returned to Mumbai. Khanna left Mumbai later that day.
Arrest and aftermath
On 25 August 2015, Mumbai police arrested Indrani Mukerjea accusing her of murdering Sheena Bora. Indrani was charged under sections 302 (murder), 201 (disposing evidence or giving false statements), 363 (kidnapping) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code and taken to the Bandra Metropolitan Magistrates' court, which remanded her in police custody. On 26 August 2015 Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna was also arrested in Kolkata and charged under sections 364 (kidnapping), 302 (murder), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) and 120-B (conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code in the same case. Sanjeev allegedly confessed to the offences charged. Peter Mukerjea was arrested on 19 November 2015, on charges related to Sheena Bora's murder and was also accused of siphoning company funds into a bank account in Sheena Bora's name in Singapore.
In popular culture
In 2016, Agnidev Chatterjee directed the movie Dark Chocolate to depict an "inspired" version of Sheena Bora Murder Case. The film starred Mahima Chaudhary and Riya Sen as Indrani Mukherjee and Sheena Bora, respectively.
- "If Indrani Mukerjea killed my daughter, she should be hanged, says Sheena Bora's father Siddhartha Das". Firstpost. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "Sheena Bora case: 2012 bone samples do not match those exhumed - timesofindia-economictimes". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Samyabrata Ray Goswami (28 August 2015). "Peter Knew". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Sheena Bora that friends knew". NDTV.
- "Who's who". The Huffington Post.
- "Sheena Bora murder saga". Firstpost.
- "Sheena Bora murder: Cast and plot of a real-life soap opera". The Hindu.
- "Sheena and Rahul relationship". Hindustan Times.
- "Sheena Bora killed in Mumbai bylane". Hindustan Times.
- "Sheena Bora murder case: Sanjeev Khanna confesses to role in crime". NDTV. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Sheena is live; claims Indrani". NDTV. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "Sheena Bora murder: 100% DNA match buries Indrani's claim, strengthens murder case". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Siddhartha Das interview". First post.
- "She always carried pic of a little girl & boy: Khanna". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Sheena murder gets murkier". Business Standard.
- "Sister or daughter". Firstpost.
- "Peter Mukerjea interview". India Today.
- "Sanjeev Khanna highly connected man". The Indian Express.
- "Indrani kept her daughter on leash". Hindustan Times.
- "Red tape prevented Rahul Mukerjea from filing FIR". Hindustan Times.
- "Sheena Bora's passport found". The Indian Express.
- "New passport claim". India Today.
- "Indrani foiled family's attempts to file missing complaint". NDTV.
- "How Sheena Bora murder case unfolded". NDTV.
- "Ex CEO held in sister's murder case". The Hindu.
- "Mikhail confirms himself and Sheena are Indrani's son and daughter". siasat.com.
- "Driver reveals murder was plotted by Indrani". Daily News and Analysis.
- "Indrani and Khanna drove with dead daughter seated between them". The Huffington Post.
- "TV top gun's wife held in murder case". The Telegraph. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Ahmed Ali (25 August 2015). "TV honcho Peter Mukerjea's wife Indrani arrested on murder charges by Mumbai Police". Times of India. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Deepshikha Ghosh (26 August 2015). "Sheena Bora Was Dating My Son, Says TV Mogul Peter Mukerjea". NDTV. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna remanded in Mumbai police custody". Press Trust of India. Indian Express. 28 August 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Sheena Bora Murder Case - Peter, Indriani siphoned off funds from INX deal:CBI". The India Express. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2016.