Sheena Is a Punk Rocker
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Sheena Is a Punk Rocker"|
|Single by the Ramones|
|from the album Rocket to Russia|
|B-side||"I Don't Care"|
|Genre||Punk rock, surf rock|
|Producer(s)||Tony Bongiovi, Tommy Ramone|
|the Ramones singles chronology|
"Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" is a song by the punk rock group the Ramones. Written by Joey Ramone, it is one of the Ramones' most popular songs, evidence of Joey's early 1960s surf rock and bubblegum pop influences. It first appeared in May 1977 as a single in the UK where it charted at #22. In the USA, it was released as a single in July 1977, and reached #81, and appeared on copies of the second issue of the band's 1977 album Leave Home (replacing the track "Carbona Not Glue"). The track, as well as its B-side "I Don't Care", was subsequently re-recorded for their third LP Rocket to Russia.
The song is notable for being one of the first to explicitly refer to "punk rock" in its title and lyrics in terms of a subculture. It is ranked #461 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The "Sheena" referred to in the title is in fact the comic book character Sheena, Queen of the Jungle; the idea being that punk rock music would appeal to a savage jungle girl brought to civilization. Said Joey Ramone, "To me 'Sheena' was the first surf/punk rock/teenage rebellion song. I combined Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, with the primalness of punk rock. Then Sheena is brought into the modern day."
- Rancid covered the song on the We're a Happy Family tribute album.
- Paul Jones covered it as a single, arranged as a ballad with strings.
- Hüsker Dü covered the song on The Living End, a live collection taken from the band's final tour.
- German punk rock band Die Toten Hosen has a live cover version available on their album Im Auftrag des Herrn.
- Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and Be Your Own Pet's Jemina Pearl performed their version of the song for the CW show Gossip Girl.
- Love Camp 7 covered the song on the Ramones Maniacs tribute album.
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover the song on the album Heroes, a recording for the War Child charity organization.
- New Model Army covered the song during their 2001 tour, shortly after Joey Ramone's death.
- Shonen Knife, the all-female band from Osaka (Japan), covered the song on their 2012 Ramones tribute album Osaka Ramones, with bassist Ritsuko Taneda on vocals.
- Manic Hispanic covered the song as Creeper Is A Low Rider on their 2003 album Mijo Goes to Jr. College.
- Charli XCX covered the song live during the VICE party at New York's Pier 59 Studios in 2016.
|Chart (1977)||Peak positions|
- "The UK version of Sheena Is A Punk Rocker". Ramones on Vinyl. May 24, 2014. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Ramones - Rocket to Russia". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "500 Greatest Albums of All Time: Ramones, 'Sheena Is a Punk Rocker'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "The Complete Studio Recordings". Swedishcharts. 1977. Retrieved 22 June 2015.