Sheep River Provincial Park
|Sheep River Provincial Park|
A series of waterfalls near the headwaters of the Sheep River
|Location||Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada|
|Nearest city||Turner Valley|
|Area||60.2 km2 (23.2 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation, Kananaskis Country Campgrounds|
Sheep River Provincial Park is a provincial park located in Alberta, Canada, 23 kilometres (14 mi) west of Turner Valley on highway 546. It is part of the Kananaskis Country park system and encompasses a portion of the Sheep River valley.
Located on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains, the park includes the Sheep River Wildlife Sanctuary, which provides permanent habitat for bighorn sheep, while the eastern part of the reserve extends to the Foothills Natural Region, offering summer range for elk and deer.
The following activities are available in the park:
- Camping at Sandy McNabb and Bluerock campgrounds.
- Cross-country skiing on the Sandy McNabb trails.
- Fishing for brown, bull, cutthroat and rainbow trout, longnose dace, northern pearl dace, longnose sucker, mountain sucker, mountain whitefish and spoonhead sculpin on the Sheep River.
- Hiking on a wide variety of trails: 9999, Bighorn, Bluerock, Bluerock Creek, Curley Sands, Death Valley, Foran Grade, Gorge Creek, Green Mountain, Hog's Back, Indian Oils, Junction Creek, Junction Mountain, Link Creek, Missinglink, Mist Creek, Mount McNabb, North Fork, Phone Line, Price Camp, Sandy McNabb, Sheep, South Gorge Creek, Threepoint Creek, Threepoint Mountain, Volcano Creek, Volcano Ridge, Ware Creek, Wildhorse, Windy Point, Wolf Creek.
- Horseback riding on most trails.
- Ice skating at Sandy McNabb campground.
- Mountain biking on most trails.
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "Sheep River Provincial Park". Retrieved 2008-01-07.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Kananaskis Country Campgrounds (Campsite operator)
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "Activities in Sheep River Provincial Park". Retrieved 2008-01-07.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheep River Provincial Park.|