Shefali Shah at Rahul Bose's sports auction event, 2012
20 July 1972
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Harsh Chhaya (1997–2001) (divorced)|
Vipul Amrutlal Shah (present)
Shefali Shah nee Shetty (born 20 July 1972), is an Indian actress who works in Bollywood films. After making her film debut with a minor role in the 1995 drama Rangeela, she played a supporting role in the crime film Satya. Her performance in Satya received critical praise and won her the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress and a Best Supporting Actress nomination at the 44th Filmfare Awards. She was later nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the family drama Waqt: The Race Against Time (2005).
In 2007, she received critical acclaim and won the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in The Last Lear. She starred in the 2015 dramedy Dil Dhadakne Do, receiving several nominations for Best Supporting Actress. She, along with the main cast won the Screen Award for Best Ensemble Cast for the film.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shefali Shah (née Shetty) was born in July 1972 and is the only child of Sudhakar Shetty (former RBI employee, and a Mangalorean) and Shobha Shetty (a homeopathy doctor, from a Gujarati family). She spent her early childhood at the RBI quarters in Santa Cruz, Mumbai where she attended Arya Vidya Mandir, Santacruz, Mumbai. She speaks Tulu, Hindi, English, Marathi and Gujarati fluently.
Shah starred in the hit Waqt: The Race Against Time (2005) as Amitabh Bachchan's wife. The film was directed by her husband Vipul Shah. Her performance was appreciated by the critics. Shefali Shah's breakthrough performance was as Ria Verma in the internationally acclaimed Monsoon Wedding. She graduated to mature roles as Kasturba Gandhi in Gandhi, My Father and as Anil Kapoor's wife in the 2008 film Black & White. She won a National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Rituparno Ghosh's The Last Lear. In 2010 she took to the stage opposite Kiran Karmarkar in the Hindi version of Chandrakant Kulkarni's play Dhyanimani; Bas Itna Sa Khwab.
|1998||Satya||Pyaari Mhatre||Won, Filmfare Critics Award Best Actress|
|2001||Monsoon Wedding||Ria Verma|
|2005||Waqt: The Race Against Time||Sumitra Thakur|
|2005||15 Park Avenue||Lakshmi J. Roy|
|2007||Gandhi, My Father||Kasturba Gandhi||Won, Best Actress Tokyo International Film Festival Award|
|2007||The Last Lear||Vandana||Won, National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress|
|2008||Black and White||Roma Mathur|
|2010||Karthik Calling Karthik||Dr. Kapadia|
|2011||Kucch Luv Jaisaa||Madhu Saxena|
|2015||Dil Dhadakne Do||Neelam Mehra||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress|
|2016||The Jungle Book||Raksha (voice in Hindi version)|
|2017||Commando 2||Leena Chowdhury|
|2018||Once Again||Tara Shetty|
|2008||Ramayan||Mithila's Queen Sunaina|
|1997||Kabhie Kabhie||Radha Pathak|
|?||Banegi Apni Baat||Richa|
|?||Tolo TV Kabul||?|
Awards and nominations
Aarohan serial 1990s [ Supportive Role)
- "Now, I'll play my age in films: Shefali Shah". The Times of India. 24 October 2009. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Shefali Shah wins best actor award". The Times of India. 30 October 2007. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- Vimla Patil (24 January 1999). "The Tribune...Sunday Reading". The Tribune. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "The Last Lear is my best performance: Shefali Shah". Sify. 16 September 2008.
- "Strong and never silent". Indian Express. 27 April 1998.
- Rinky Kumar (20 August 2010). "Re-living a dream". Indian Express. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- 'I get on with life quickly' - Hindustan Times Archived 23 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Harsh Chhaya's wife Shefali to replace Seema Kapoor in Hasratein". India Today. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- Subhash K Jha (8 March 2006). "People say I look like Kasturba Gandhi: Shefali Shah". Sify. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Married to the 'boss'! Shefali Shah's waqt with Vipul!". Indiatimes.com Movies. 22 April 2005. Archived from the original on 13 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shefali Shah.|