Sheffield Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Sheffield Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Location of Sheffield Township in Ashtabula County
|• Total||23.2 sq mi (60.2 km2)|
|• Land||23.2 sq mi (60.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||856 ft (261 m)|
|• Density||71/sq mi (27.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085743|
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Kingsville Township - north
- Monroe Township - east
- Pierpont Township - southeast corner
- Denmark Township - south
- Jefferson Township - southwest corner
- Plymouth Township - west
No municipalities are located in Sheffield Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Sheffield Township is located in Lorain County.
The first settlers in Sheffield Township were John Shaw, a former British soldier, and his wife, who came in 1812. When the township was organized in 1817 – 1820, John Griggs, first Justice of the Peace, changed the name to Sheffield, meaning "sheaf of fields", when it was disconnected from Kingsville Township in 1820. Prior to that time that portion of Kingsville Township had been called East Matherstown, to distinguish it from Matherstown, a name by which Saybrook Township was at one time known.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current members of the board are Alan Kohta, Troy Vanek, and Ken Kister.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sheffield township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.