Sheffield Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Sheffield Township, Lorain County, Ohio|
Location of Sheffield Township in Lorain County
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.4 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||676 ft (206 m)|
|• Density||1,702.9/sq mi (657.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086520|
Located in northern Lorain County, it borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Lorain - north
- Sheffield - east
- Elyria - southeast
- Elyria Township - south
- Amherst Township - southwest corner
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Sheffield Township is located in Ashtabula County.
The first inhabitants of Sheffield Township began settling the area circa 1815.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The school district in Sheffield Township is Clearview Local School District.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 2000 Census data Accessed 14 May 2007.
- History of Lorain County, Ohio. Williams Brothers. 1879. p. 250-254.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.