Sheffield University Orienteering Club
Sheffield University Orienteering Club is a UK Orienteering Club. It is also known or abbreviated by the name ShUOC.[a] The club is a member club of the British Orienteering Federation. It is currently the 4th most successful Orienteering Club in the UK by number of relay wins with 10, behind South Yorkshire, INT Edinburgh and long rivals Edinburgh University.
The club is open to students of Sheffield University. However, it is also open to members from Sheffield Hallam University. Upon leaving university, graduates then become a member of the ex-ShUOC club known as SPOOK (Sheffield Postgraduates Occasional Orienteering Klubb). Some people prefer "old" instead of "occasional" but the definitive abbreviation is unclear. SPOOK celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017/18.
The club was formed in 1968 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017/18. In that time it has been very successful. For instance, between 2005 and 2010 the club won the JK (Jan Kjellstrom International Festival of Orienteering) Relays (three times), the British Championships Relays (three times), the UK relay league (twice), the Harvester Relays (twice), the BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) relays and was made Sheffield University Sports club of the year.
World Level Representation
The following is a (probably incomplete) list of current and former members of ShUOC who have represented Great Britain at an international level i.e. World Cup races or World Championships.
- Emily Benham (MTBO) (World Cup winner 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Graham Gristwood (World Champion - Relay 2008)
- Steven Hale (Silver in world championship men's relay team in 1993)
- Kristian Jones (World University Champions, Sprint & Mixed Sprint Relay, 2016)
- Jenny Peel
- Jamie Stevenson (World Sprint Champion 2003)
- Kirsty Bryan-Jones
- Kim Buckley
- Mark Chapman
- Matthew Crane
- Matthew Dickinson
- Rachel Elder
- Mark Hayman (MTBO)
- Don Hill (World University Championships 1978)
- Oli Johnson
- Andy Kitchen
- Wendy Lightfoot
- John Rocke
- Dave Schorah
- Chris Smithard
- Ralph Street
- Charlotte Ward (World University Champions, Mixed Sprint Relay, 2016)
- Claire Ward
- Helen Winskill (née Hargreaves)
- Richard Wren
- Southampton University Orienteering Club use the obvious 4 letter abbreviation (SUOC) hence the use of the abbreviation ShUOC
- "British Orienteering list of university orienteering clubs". British Orienteering. Retrieved 24 November 2016.