Sheik Karimol Makhdum Mosque
|Sheikh Karim-ul Makhdum Mosque|
|Location||Simunul, Tawi-Tawi, Philippines|
The Sheik Karimol Makhdum Mosque is located in Barangay Tubig Indangan, Simunul, Tawi-Tawi, the Philippines. It is the oldest mosque in the Philippines and in Southeast Asia, according to local folklore, it was built by an Arab trader named Sheikh Makhdum Karim in 1380. It was first thought that the pillars of the old mosque found within the current mosque are the pillars of the original allegedly built in 1380. However, studies from the National Museum of the Philippines have confirmed that the pillars found within the present mosque dates back to the 17th century. The four pillars are regarded as sacred and have high status in Philippine culture as they are at least 400 years old and are the oldest known Islamic artifacts in the entire Philippines. The mosque has been declared as a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission and a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum.
- Madale, Nagasura (October 6, 2003). "A Look at Philippine Mosques". National Commission for Culture and the Arts. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Kolig, Erich; Angeles, Vivienne S. M.; Wong, Sam (2009). Identity in Crossroad Civilisations: Ethnicity, Nationalism and Globalism in Asia. Amsterdam University Press. ISBN 978-90-8964-127-4.
- MINDANAW: Oldest mosque needs repair
- "Resolution No. 4, s. 1998 Declaring the Sheik Karimol Makhdum Mosque in Tubig-Indangan, Simunul, Taw-Tawi, as a National Historical Landmark" (PDF). National Historical Commission of the Philippines. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Resolution No. 4, s. 1998 Declaring the Sheik Karimol Makhdum Mosque in Tubig-Indangan, Simunul, Taw-Tawi, as a National Historical Landmark". National Historical Commission of the Philippines. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- Sulu, North Borneo Sultan Hails Senate Bill Declaring RP’s Oldest Mosque As National Shrine, Zamboanga Journal on November 28, 2006
- flickr.com: Oldest Mosque in the Philippines