Sheila Ki Jawani
|"Sheila Ki Jawani"|
|Song by Sunidhi Chauhan, Vishal Dadlani|
|Released||14 November 2010|
"Sheila Ki Jawani" (lit. Sheila's youth) is a song sung by Sunidhi Chauhan and Vishal Dadlani featuring Katrina Kaif along with Akshay Kumar in the 2010 Bollywood movie Tees Maar Khan. The music is composed by composer duo Vishal-Shekhar and the lyrics are penned by Dadlani. The moves were choreographed by choreographer-director Farah Khan, who went on to win the Filmfare award for best choreography for the movie.
The immense popularity of the song prompted many comparisons between the song and "Munni Badnaam Hui", from the 2010 movie Dabangg. It has since become one of the most viewed Bollywood songs on YouTube with more than 100 million views to date.
Katrina Kaif stated that Farah Khan presented her with DVDs of Madhuri Dixit's movies, so that Katrina could concentrate on Dixit's dances. Kaif then stated that it helped her a lot. Kaif describes her performance in this song as "one of the sexiest" she has ever done. She said, "It was kind of a learning experience for me. I don't take the song being called item number as an offense. There is exposure in the song but it is more about attitude and I was specific about it..." The gorgeous actress who sported a fab zero size figure almost bared her all in the song and gave credit to her director, Farah Khan for her makeover. Director Farah Khan recalls, "Katrina was very conscious of revealing her navel in Sheila ki Jawani and worked out for two months for it, telling me to allow her an option to cover herself with a dupatta if her abs weren't flat. But in the end, she was extremely confident, not bothering to cover up with a bathrobe in between shots or even in the walk from her vanity van to the set."
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
The song was well received by film critics, who praised the choreography of Farah Khan and the moves of Katrina. Anupama Chopra of NDTV wrote, "Farah continues to be the consummate choreographer – So, Sheila ki Jawani has a superb, infectious energy". Nikhat Kazmi of the Times of India wrote "Of course Sheila Ki Jawani is eye-popping chartbuster fare and adds another definition to the item number with Katrina's explosive rendition". India Today wrote "The stunning Katrina Kaif brings sexy back with her latest item song from Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan." CNX.org wrote, "The sizzling hot number performed by the steaming Katrina Kaif is a mix of outstanding talent and crude sexual appeal. Undoubtedly, the choreographer Farah Khan has an uncanny talent to bring out the best of sari. She would remind you 'Who says that sari is not a sexy outfit?'" bollykings.com wrote, "This song can safely be called the sexiest, raunchiest, hottest eye popping dance number after, well, Beedi and Munni Badnaam. Sheila Ki Jawaani successfully establishes Katrina Kaif as an established item girl in Bollywood for she has pulled the act off with grace and sexiness at the same time. Nothing cheap, just pure oomph!" The Times of India, praising Katrina in item songs, wrote, "Katrina Kaif made men go weak on their knees with her navel exposure for the item songs, 'Sheila ki Jawani' and 'Chikni Chameli' which were major hits in her career."
The song turned out to be one of the biggest hits of the year, along with "Munni badnaam hui" from Dabangg. Malaika Arora Khan, who featured in "Munni badnaam hui" was frequently compared with Kaif, in what was popularly known as the "Munni vs Sheila" debate.
In December 2010, a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court, with the petitioner asking for a ban of the song, claiming it was "indecent" and "immoral". However, the movie was released with minimal cuts, and was given a U/A censor rating.
|Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|3rd Mirchi Music Awards||Song of The Year||-||Nominated|||
|Female Vocalist of The Year||Sunidhi Chauhan||Nominated|
|Best Item Song of the Year||-||Nominated|
|Listeners' Choice Song of the Year||-||Won|
- Tuteja, Joginder (12 November 2010). "Katrina works on herself for 'Sheila Ki Jawani'". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Small-budget 'Udaan' sweeps Filmfare Awards". MSN India. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Munni - Sheila battle heats up". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Ashar, Urvashi (8 December 2010). "Katrina's 'Sheila' dedicated to Madhuri". Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "'Sheila Ki Jawani' is the sexiest song I have ever shot, says Katrina". Zee News. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "'Sheila Ki Jawani' is the sexiest song I have ever shot, says Katrina". Zee News. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- June 3, Shilpa Rathnam Prachi Rege Kaveree Bamzai; June 13, 2011 ISSUE DATE:; June 13, 2011UPDATED:; Ist, 2011 15:57. "'Bollywood navel fashion has led to re-emergence of sari'". India Today. Retrieved 27 May 2019.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Chopra, Anupama. "Review: Tees Maar Khan". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (23 December 2011). "Tees Maar Khan". Times of India. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Katrina Kaifs bold act in Sheila Ki Jawani". Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "OpenStax CNX". cnx.org. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "Sheila Ki Jawaani – Katrina Kaif Does the Sexiest Bollywood Song Ever". Bollykings. 23 November 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Katrina Kaif made men go weak on their knees Photogallery - Times of India". The Times of India Photogallery. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Nagpaul-D'Souza, Dipti (26 December 2010). "Munni vs Sheila: The way of the 'Item Bomb'". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Wangoo, Anupama (26 December 2011). "Sheila steals Munni's thunder". Times of India. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "PIL demands ban on Munni Badnaam Hui and Sheila Ki Jawani". Deccan Herald. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Tees Maar Khan in censor trouble; gets U/A certificate". Indian Express. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Nominees - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2010". 30 January 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Winners - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2010".