Life and work
Derek Hill, a great admirer of her work, said, "Her paintings capture the Donegal we all feel in retrospect".
Joseph McWilliams, PPRUA, said, "Her landscapes are painted landscapes, her boglands are expressive marks of paint, on richly textured surfaces redolent of bog cotton and dank brown pools..... Her work reflects a deep understanding of both place and paint".
Commenting on her most recent one woman exhibition McClean stated:
"Painting for me is a necessary means of self-expression. My desire as a painter is to establish a relationship between intuitive imagery, and a spontaneous method of painting. I try to achieve this, through a combination of economic statements, which are personal rather than purely descriptive and keeping myself aware of the life and integrity of the paint itself."
"Paint is the image. Image is the paint"
- National Self Portrait Collection, Limerick.
- Derek Hill Collection, Co. Donegal.
- D.F.P (NI Civil Service).
- UTV Collection, Belfast.
- The Harverty Trust.
- Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) Offices, Belfast.
- UNISON Collection, NI & UK.
- ROWAN, Alistair. (2003). The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (reprint ed.). Yale University: Printing Press. ISBN 0-300-09667-4.
- LANDSCAPES (1997). North and South: Art of the State. Dublin: Stationery Office for OPW: Printing Press. ISBN 0-7076-4917-X. (Catalogue of exhibition which opened in the Glebe Gallery, Churchill; artists include Sheila McClean.
- RUA Associate Sheila McClean Royal Ulster Academy, Northern Ireland. Retrieved 2 November 2006.
- "Moville Parish, County Donegal, Diocese of Derry, Ireland.". Retrieved 7 January 2011.
|This Irish painter article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|