Shekhar C. Mande
|Born||5 April 1962|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Science, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen|
|Institutions||National Centre for Cell Science|
Shekhar C. Mande is a Structural and Computational Biologist. He did his M.Sc. in Physics from University of Nagpur. He holds Doctor of philosophy in Molecular Biophysics, from the Indian Institute of Science. Following his PhD, he joined Prof. Wim G. J. Hol as Post Doctoral Fellow at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen in the Netherlands. Since 2001, he was senior staff scientist at Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics. Between September 2011 and September 2018 He served as director at National Centre for Cell Science in Pune, India. Currently he serves as the Director General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)-cum- Secretary, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Govt of India.
He was awarded in 2005 the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, the highest science award in India, in the Biological sciences category.
Role in National and International Advisory Bodies
Dr. Mande is current Director General of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India and Secretary DSIR.
He serves on many advisory committees including task forces of the Department of Biotechnology and Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India. Currently he Chairs the Basic Science task force of the Department of Biotechnology, and is a core member of the Biophysics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Microbiology task force of the Science and Engineering Research Board of the Department of Science and Technology.
He is also a member of the management council of the Tata Institute for Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai as a representative of the Maharashtra State Government. He is a member of the Management Councils of the Solapur University and the Savitribai Phule Pune University. He is a member of the Governing Body of the Indo French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research (CEFIPRA), and a member of the Research Council of the Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi.
He currently chairs the National Committee for the International Union of Crystallography of the Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
He is the Vice President of Vijnana Bharati, a large voluntary science movement in India with Swadeshi spirit.
Prizes and honours
- B M Birla Young Scientist Award, 1999
- Wellcome Trust International Senior Fellow, 2003- 08
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology for 2005
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy New Delhi, Elected 2010
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad, India, Elected 2003
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, Elected 2003
- BC Guha Memorial Lecture of the Indian National Science Academy, 2017
- BK Bachhawat Memorial Lecture of the National Academy of Science, India, 2017
- Structural Biologist and X-ray Crystallographer
- Structural characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis proteins
- Computational analysis of genome-wide protein:protein interactions.
- "National Centre For Cell Science, Pune". Nccs.res.in. Archived from the original on 15 July 2004. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Visakhapatnam News : 'Good career opportunities for science students'". The Hindu. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20120316172347/http://www.nccs.res.in/download-docs/BD%20NCCS%20COE%20Stem%20Cell%20Workshop%20Announcement-new.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012. Missing or empty
- "PM presents Bhatnagar prizes to 21 scientists - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 29 September 2005. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120624055739/http://www.cdfd.org.in/labpages/structural_biology_shekharcmande.html. Archived from the original on 24 June 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012. Missing or empty