||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||August 26, 1957|
|Alma mater||School of Communication Studies , Punjab University .|
|Known for||Hosting Walk the Talk|
Shekhar Gupta (born 26 August 1957) is an Indian journalist who is currently working with Business Standard and pens a weekly column "National Interest" which appears every Saturday. He was earlier the vice chairman of the India Today Group. Until June 2014, he served 19 years as editor-in-chief of the Indian Express. Gupta writes a weekly column called "National Interest" for India Today magazine. His "National Interest" columns for the Indian Express were collected in his 2014 book Anticipating India. He also hosts an interview-based television show Walk the Talk on NDTV 24x7. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Indian government in 2009 for his contribution to journalism.
Early life and career
Shekhar Gupta initially did his schooling for three years (1962–65) in Saraswati Shishu Mandir in Palwal, then in Punjab (one of a chain of junior schools run across the country by RSS, along with Vidya Mandirs for seniors). Shekhar has received assorted awards: the 1985 Inlaks award for young journalist of the year, G. K. Reddy Award for Journalism, the Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Memorial Award for National Integration. He was awarded Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in 2009.
Under his leadership, The Indian Express won the Vienna-based International Press Institute’s Award for Outstanding Journalism in the Public Interest thrice- the first time for its coverage of the Gujarat riots of 2002, the second time for uncovering the Bihar flood relief scam in 2005 and the third time for its sustained investigation into the Malegaon and Modasa blasts of 2008 and the alleged role of Hindu extremists and organisations.
- Gupta, Shekhar (1984). Assam : a valley divided. New Delhi: Vikas.
- — (1995). India redefines its role. IISS Adelphi Paper Series 293. Oxford: Oxford University Press for the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
- — (2014). Anticipating India : the best of National Interest. New Delhi: Express Group.
Essays and reporting
- Gupta, Shekhar (October 6, 2014). "Making sense of Xi slap". National Interest. India Today 39 (40): 20–21.
- Gupta, Shekhar (October 2, 2015). "Mainstreaming The Lynch-Fringe". National Interest. Business Standard.
- "Madhavan Nair, Abhinav Bhindra receive Padma awards". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2009-04-15. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- "Confessions Of A Shakhahari".
- http://web.archive.org/web/20120829034147/http://www.inlaksfoundation.org:80/Alumni.aspx?sort=old&Type=S. Archived from the original on August 29, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2012. Missing or empty
- "National events in March 1997". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- President of India : President's Address to the Nation
- "Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed awards for Shekhar Gupta, Shabana Azmi". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2008-10-19.
- "Padma Bhushan Awardees".
- Trionfi, Barbara (2009-11-18). "IPI India Announces Recipients of Its Annual Award".