30 August 1965 |
Moga, Punjab, India
|Occupation||Cartoonist, caricaturist, illustrator, designer|
|Children||Dev Gurera & Yogesh Gurera|
Shekhar Gurera, or Chander Shekhar Gurera (born 30 August 1965), is an Indian editorial cartoonist, illustrator, and graphic designer, He is well known for his regular cartoons with comments about India's political and social trends. His daily pocket cartoons appear in several English, Hindi, and regional language daily newspapers Punjab Kesari, Hind Samachar, Jag Bani, Nava Bharat, Central Chronicle, The Pioneer, Sanmarg and Navodaya Times etc. While an undergraduate student of science, he drew cartoons as a hobby, and started his cartoon career in 1984 as a freelancer.
Gurera was born on 30 August 1965 in Moga, Punjab (India). He started his per-university (11th) from DAV College, Abohar, but graduated with a degree in Science from Multani Mal Modi College at Patiala in 1986. After shifting Gurgaon, Haryana got the degree in Applied Arts from College of Art at New Delhi in 1990.
During 1973 Gurera's first cartoon was published in Veer Pratap (then leading newspaper in Hindi from Punjab) as he was awarded in an on the spot competition. During his school days he continued his skill of cartooning and sketching as hobby only. During 1984 he professionally started contributing to Punjab Kesari as freelancer while pursuing Science graduation at Patiala.
Awards and honors
During his graduation he secured four University Colors and Gold Medals in Cartooning and Sketching where as in 1982 while being a student of 11th he was honored by the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Balram Jakhar. In 1989 he was honored by the PM, Rajiv Gandhi; In 1990, by The President, Giani Zail Singh and in 1992 with the Best Cartoonist Award by the PM P. V. Narasimha Rao during 1st Babu Jagjeevan Ram Memorial All India Art Exhibition. In 1996 awarded for the Excellence in Cartooning at 20th Matri Shree Media Awards, by the Delhi CM Sahib Singh Verma. In 1997 he got honor to represent India at the 3rd Asian Cartoon and Art Exhibition conducted by The Japan Foundation at Tokyo, where as in 2002 he was awarded by The Saitama's Humor Photo Contest, Japan. In 2011 he was honored at Mahamana Madan Mohan Malaviya Memorial 7th Annual Award for Journalism (Cartoonist).
In 1999, Shekhar drew a series of Kargil Kartoons, on-the-spot cartoons of Indian soldiers passing through the New Delhi railway station on their way to Kargil. The cartoons on the Kargil War were later exhibited at The Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi on 25–31 July 1999, followed by the chain exhibition of cartoons at Jaipur, Chandigarh, Patna and Indore.
From 2001 onward, carrying a unique weekly feature, Future Lens, which is very popular abroad as well. This column features a popular celebrity from sports, films, politics or other fields and depicts them as they'd look with 30 years added to their present age. These pictures are created by painting digitally, which makes them look like actual photographs.
NPC Calendar 05 & 16
Books and articles
Suryodaya Ki Dharati Japan Se, After returning from Japan, wrote a weekly series of articles, published in Punjab Kesari, Jag Bani and Hind Samachar. 10 episodes of articles were a kind of his experience as well as a travelogues : 1997
Je Suis Charlie : Lead the group of Indian cartoonists in drawing cartoons to show solidarity with the victims of the attack on French satirical paper Charlie Hebdo at the Press Club of India in New Delhi, India, Friday, Jan. 9, 2015 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shekhar Gurera.|
- PIB, Government of India. access date: 22 July 2010. List of Accredited Journalist, 2010 (no300 in List by Name)
- Another Feather in the cap of Cartoonist Gurera The Times of India, New Delhi : Jan20, 1999
- Career in Satire, Cartoonist' Interview (Page26-31) POOL 83 : July 2017
- Honored by the PM, P. V. Narasimha Rao Navbharat_Times, New Delhi : 30 November 1992
- 20th Matri Shree Award Announced Indian Express, New Delhi : May6,1996
- 3rd Asian Cartoon and Art Exhibition : Manga Hai Kya, Comics : Shekhar Gurera
- Saitama's Humor Photo Contest 2002 World's Contests
- Madan Mohan Malaviya Memorial 7th Annual Award : 2011 Excellence in Cartooning
- "Humour for warriors up front," Indian Express, 14 July 1999.
- Future Lens (now and after 30 years) Future Lans (Video)
- "Crystal Ball Gazing : Hrithik Roshan in 2035," The Times of India, New Delhi: 27 July 2000.
- Cartoons for the NPC, Calendar: 2005.
- Art review by Gurudatta NS Sanketh Kannada Prabha, Bangalore, 7 January 2017.
- WORLD OF SHEKHAR GURERA' - NEWS9 News9, 11 January 2017.
- A series of 10 articles published in Punjab Kesari, Jag Bani and Hind Samachar Dec23,1997 : सूर्योदय की धरती (जापान) से
- Kargil Kartoons a collection of cartoons
- An article by Ram Kishore Parcha published in Swatantra Bharat, Lucknow on Aug26,2000 : रेलवे यात्रा पर कार्टूनों की एक उम्दा बानगी
- Indian cartoonists at the Press Club of India in New Delhi voice solidarity after the Charlie Hebdo attack, Jan. 9, 2015 : The Hypocrisy of Democracy