April 7, 1944 |
Detroit, Michigan, United States
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO, Bachrach & Associates|
|Children||Laura Bachrach, Scott Bachrach, Ryan Bachrach, Courtney Bachrach|
Sheldon Jay Bachrach (born April 7, 1944, in Detroit, Michigan), or Shel Bachrach for short, is an American insurance broker, investor, businessman and philanthropist. He is regarded as one of the world's greatest entertainment insurance brokers.
Bachrach has held positions as President of Entertainment and High Net Worth divisions for USI (acquired by Goldman Sachs), and Albert G. Ruben of Beverly Hills. He was awarded the Guinness World Record in 1990 for the largest life and disability policy ever written at the time, valued at over $140 million. He is currently founder and President of Bachrach & Associates, co-founder and Partner of Extract Value, and Director of American Chariot.
Bachrach wrote his first insurance policy for a major entertainer in 1983 and followed with policies for entertainers like Neil Simon, Van Halen, and Kiss. Early in his career, Bachrach was able to write insurance policies for previously uninsurable positions.
Shel Bachrach has pioneered practices that are employed by companies worldwide, including policies for:
- Advertising commercial wrap-ups for Fortune 500s such as Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Ford Motors, Philip Morris, and Toyota;
- Drug-related filming delays for stars such as Courtney Love in The People vs. Larry Flynt
- Actors who pilot aircraft, such as Harrison Ford in the blockbuster Air Force One
- Aging key persons, such as acclaimed director Sir David Lean, for his last movie ever made;
- Severe medical conditions, such as for Academy Award-winning director/actor John Huston;
- Pregnant actresses during filming for actresses like Bette Midler;
- Magicians, entertainers, and "Big Cats" performers, including popular Las Vegas acts; and
- Winnings for some of television's longest running game shows like The Price Is Right.
Shel Bachrach is on the Board of ABCs at Saint John's Health Center, major contributor to Cedars-Sinai, LACMA, and other well known Los Angeles institutions. The Bachrach Family is also on the Board of Governors at Cedars-Sinai, Members of the Amie Karen Cancer Fund for Children for over twenty years, Assistance League for over ten years, UNICEF, and a supporter of the Circle of Angels.
Shel Bachrach, is married to Kathleen Wright Bachrach with four children and currently resides in his Bel Air estate with additional homes in Malibu, Palm Springs and New York. Bachrach's four children are Laura Bachrach, Scott Bachrach, Ryan Bachrach, and Courtney Bachrach. His grandchildren are Benjamin Bachrach and Asher Bachrach.
|Film Title||Release year||Role|
|The Shadow Conspiracy||1997||production insurance provider (Albert G Ruben Insurance Services)|
|Evita||1996||production insurance provider (Albert G Ruben Insurance Services)|
|The People vs. Larry Flynt||1996||special thanks|
|Cutthroat Island||1995||production insurance provider|
|Color of Night||1994||insurance provider|
|Cliffhanger||1993||production insurance provider (Albert G Ruben Insurance Services)|
|Medicine Man||1992||insurance provider|
- "About Shel Bachrach, President of Bachrach & Associates". Bachrach & Associates. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "ABCs Events Directors - Associates for Breast and Cancer Studies". Associates for Breast and Cancer Studies. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "1736 Family Crisis Center - How You Can Help". 1736 Family Crisis Center. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Shel Bachrach Filmography - Yahoo! Movies". [Yahoo! Movies]. Archived from the original on May 22, 2011. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Shel Bachrach Filmography - Yahoo! Movies". [Turner Classic Movies]. Archived from the original on May 22, 2011. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Medicine Man at Hollywood.com". Hollywood.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2008-07-20.