Redland City, Queensland
Winston Road, 2015
|Population||1,690 (2011 census)|
|Location||23 km (14 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
|State electorate(s)||Electoral district of Redlands|
|Federal Division(s)||Division of Bowman|
The suburb is sparsely populated, consisting of mostly bushland, including some residential properties on acreage. The presence of multiple protected areas is notable, preserving the region's natural eucalyptus forests, and protecting endangered species such as the koala.
As a largely uninhabited rural area, the suburb of Sheldon only came into being in the year 1980. It combined the southern and northern portions of neighbouring suburbs Capalaba and Mount Cotton, respectively.
In the 2011 Census, the population of Sheldon was 1,690, of which 49.5% were female and 50.5% were male. The median/average age of the Sheldon population is 42 years of age, 5 years above the Australian average.
80.5% of people living in Sheldon were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England (7%), New Zealand (2.6%), South Africa (1%,) Scotland (0.8%), and India (0.5%). 94.5% of people speak English as their first language, while some residents speak German (0.6%), Spanish (0.5%), Serbian (0.4%), Italian (0.4%), and Greek (0.4%).
Sheldon College, one of the largest schools in Redland City, was founded in the suburb in 1997. Its campus is situated near the roundabout at which Sheldon, Capalaba, Alexandra Hills, and Thornlands meet at a quadripoint.
Karreman Quarries are also based in Sheldon, operating a quarry in the suburb, which provides material for road surfacing. Allegations of pollution, ties to the Liberal National Party, and familial OHS breaches have been made.
Since Tingalpa Creek's headwaters are located in the Sheldon region, the suburb is a catchment area for the entire Leslie Harrison Dam, which provides drinking water to much of the Redlands. The region is also home to a significant koala population. As a result, the suburb retains much of its natural bushland, extending north from the Venman Bushland National Park in Mount Cotton. Protected areas of Sheldon include:
- Brisbane Koala Bushlands
- Emu Street Bushland Reserve
- Ford Road Conservation Area
- Summit Street Reserve
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Sheldon (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Sheldon". Redland City Council. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Sheldon - Natural Hazards and Critical Infrastructure". Redland City Local Disaster Management Group. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Mt Cotton and Sheldon timeline". Redland City Council. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Sheldon College: Contact Us". Sheldon College. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- Mark Solomons and Mark Willacy (2015-01-30). "Law change that helped LNP donor avoid prosecution would be investigated in NSW, former ICAC commissioner says". ABC News. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Dane Karreman, 9, banned from driving 30-tonne front-end loader". news.com.au. 2009-11-02. Retrieved 2015-09-11.