Sheldon High School (Oregon)
|Sheldon High School|
2455 Willakenzie Road|
Eugene, (Lane County), Oregon 97401
|School district||Eugene School District|
|Number of students||
|Athletics conference||OSAA Southwest Conference 6A-6|
Henry D. Sheldon High School is a public high school in Eugene, Oregon, United States. The school's nickname is the Fighting Irish. Sheldon is one of four traditional high schools in the Eugene School District.
Sheldon High School opened in the 1963–64 academic year as the third high school in the Eugene School District.
Henry D. Sheldon was one of the Northwest's foremost educators during the first half of this century, helping to build Oregon’s public high school system, the school of education at the University of Oregon and the university itself.
Sheldon came to Oregon at a time when education as a curriculum was just beginning to emerge from a group of courses that included psychology, philosophy, and pedagogy (teaching). He was a pioneer in child psychology and educational inquiry. Sheldon’s attempts to broaden the professional education curriculum, and raise the standards of teacher education form a major theme of his earlier letters.
Dr. Sheldon immediately understood that improved teacher training in Oregon was a useless effort unless the condition of secondary schools underwent a concurrent major improvement.
Includes team championships.
Team sports, fall
Team sports, winter
- Boys' basketball: 1992
- Cheerleading: 2004
- Dance/drill: 2002, 2008, 2009, 2017
- Boys' swimming: 1975, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999
- Girls' swimming: 1997, 1998, 2000
Team sports, spring
- Boys' track & field: 2009, 2016
- Girls' track & field: 1968
- Boys' tennis: 1971, 1972, 2001
- Girls' tennis: 1993
- Baseball: 2013, 2015
- Boys' golf: 2005, 2006
- Girls' golf: 2013
Sheldon also has a television station in the same building as the radio station which allows students to explore interests in television broadcasting.
Sheldon won the Oregonian Cup, an OSAA award for "overall school excellence in academics, activities, athletics and sportsmanship," in the 2001-2002 and 2002–2003 school years.
In June 2010, KGW and The Register-Guard reported that Sheldon had made Newsweek's annual list of the nation's best public high schools of the year, ranking second best in Oregon and 665th in the nation.
- Jon Anderson - 1972 Summer Olympics runner, winner of 1973 Boston Marathon
- Alex Brink - quarterback, Houston Texans, Canadian Football League
- Greg Byrne - athletics director for the University of Alabama
- Kameron Canaday - NFL player
- Todd Christensen - football player, Los Angeles Raiders
- James Dutton - NASA astronaut pilot
- Justin Herbert - football player, starting quarterback for the Oregon Ducks
- Dave Hunt - House Speaker, Oregon House of Representatives
- Jon Jaqua - football player, Washington Redskins
- Mike Luckovich - editorial cartoonist for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Chris Miller - football player, Atlanta Falcons
- Brent Primus - current Bellator MMA Lightweight Champion
- Michael Walter - football player, San Francisco 49ers
- Craig Wasson - actor
- Taylor John Williams - singer on Season 7 of The Voice
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 45. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Henry D. Sheldon High School Academic Profile 2015-2016" (PDF). p. 1. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Sheldon High School web site.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-11. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- "Newsweek ranks Corbett High 5th best in U.S." KGW. June 15, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- "Tardy South Eugene absent from 'best schools' list: The school was late submitting data for Newsweek's annual list, which includes Sheldon and Churchill". The Register-Guard. June 23, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Media related to Sheldon High School (Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons