Shell Point, South Carolina
|Shell Point, South Carolina|
Location of Shell Point, South Carolina
|• Total||5.6 sq mi (14.4 km2)|
|• Land||3.9 sq mi (10.2 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||420/sq mi (160/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1237378|
Shell Point is a census-designated place (CDP) in Beaufort County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 2,336 at the 2010 census. As defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, Shell Point is included within the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Shell Point is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.6 square miles (14.4 km2), of which 3.9 square miles (10.2 km2) is land and 1.6 square miles (4.2 km2), or 29.17%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,856 people, 1,040 households, and 803 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 467.4 people per square mile (180.5/km2). There were 1,103 housing units at an average density of 180.5/sq mi (69.7/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 77.56% White, 16.14% African American, 0.49% Native American, 1.61% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 2.56% from other races, and 1.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.97% of the population.
There were 1,040 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 17.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 31.4% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $39,957, and the median income for a family was $50,284. Males had a median income of $25,920 versus $23,490 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,222. About 6.5% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.7% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Shell Point CDP, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 24, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Shell Point CDP, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 24, 2011.